Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Huge blister

Default Huge blister

DD, 9 months, has been nursing every couple of hours lately, including overnight. It feels like her latch has become more aggressive (only word I could think of), and she's hanging on comfort nursing for up to 10 minutes after she's done actively nursing. I'm sure it's related to her getting her first upper teeth (I can see bumps up there), and also probably a growth spurt.

Well, yesterday I was examining my nipple since it was getting painful, and there was a small blister on it. It's been getting bigger and bigger with each feeding and now it's quite large, and very painful when she nurses. I don't think it's a milk bleb because it isn't white, but I've never had one so I'm not sure.

Oh and I can't get any relief by switching sides because she won't nurse off the other side and it isn't producing more than a few drops anymore.

Anyone know what this is and how to help it along?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Huge blister

Could it be her latch? I know nothing about milk blebs, either, so I'm no help there. Are you experiencing pain or anything while she is latched, or did you notice discomfort before the blister showed up?
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*BakerSmurf View Post
    Could it be her latch? I know nothing about milk blebs, either, so I'm no help there. Are you experiencing pain or anything while she is latched, or did you notice discomfort before the blister showed up?
    Well it's definitely been less comfortable lately. She's been nursing so often that my nipples feel kind of raw and irritated. There is definitely discomfort throughout most of the nursing session.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

OK, it's definitely a milk blister, and growing every time she nurses. But I did see there was another recent thread about treating these, so I'm gonna read that to get some tips.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09