Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and Supplementing - Getting frustrated

Default Breastfeeding and Supplementing - Getting frustrated

My baby boy is 3.5 weeks and had trouble gaining weight when he was first born so the pediatrician suggested that I supplement with breast milk. My baby was extremely slow on the uptake, being a SLOW nurser and falling asleep at the breast all the time.

I wanted to make sure that I was giving my baby enough milk so I supplemented after every feeding for about 1.5 weeks and after a meeting with a lactation consultant, she suggested alternating between breastfeeding only and breastfeeding/supplement to make sure that my baby was getting enough milk and maintaining my milk supply.

Yesterday, I tried to breastfeed exclusively and instead of nursing every three hours (when he is supplemented), he wanted to breastfeed every 2 - 2.5 hours for 30 minutes at a time. Hoping to get some rest at night, I breastfed at midnight and supplemented with breastmilk. The baby took about 1.5 ounces from the bottle. I have a baby nurse with me for the first month so at 2:40, the baby started crying and she fed him about 2.5 ounces of breastmilk from the bottle. Then, at 4:40 he was hungry again so she gave him another 2 ounces from a bottle. Is it possible for him to be so hungry?

I am so confused. Now I don't know whether he's getting enough milk from me cause at the midnight feeding, he took 1.5 ounces from the bottle, then more than 4.5 ounces in the next 4 hours! Should I just give up on hopes of breastfeeding exclusively and continue supplementing?

I don't know what to do!

Default Re: Breastfeeding and Supplementing - Getting frustrated

It is normal to eat that much and that frequent. My LO is 4 months old and she still nurses every 2.5 hrs. sometimes every 3 hrs. Remember that your baby is growing so his/her intake will increase during growth spurts then stabilize until the next growth spurt. Here's info on growth spurts.

Why do you have to supplement with a bottle? Are you supplementing with pumped breast milk? If so, why can't you just nurse you LO until he's full? This will help you maintain your supply as a baby is much more efficient than a breast pump.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

It's tough, but I say keep working at it! You're doing great so far!

It's not only possible but very likely he is hungry that often. My DD nursed every 60min when she was that age. Continued to do so for the first few months! I would have loved to go 2-2 1/2 hours between feedings. It is not a sign of the baby not getting enough - My DD was 95 percentile when she was born and continues to be way above average at 6 months. She got plenty of milk. Also I think babies have a growth spurt around 3 weeks. They'll eat a lot more frequently for a few days.
    I'm sure there are some other mama's on here that can offer you some more concrete advice than I can...

Keep it up! You're doing great!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

that sounds normal mama. 3-4 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt. Also, feeding 8-12 times per 24 hours is recommended for at least the first 3 months. My son is 6 months old and I still nurse him every 2 hours during the day and 2-4 times at night. As for the 30 minute nursing sessions, that too is normal for the age. As he gets older he will get more efficient and empty the breast faster, but he is still very little. Also, the more he is on your breast, the better your supply will become.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks so much for the kind words. I am still supplementing because the baby nurse suggests that I try to get him on more of schedule. Maybe the best thing to do is just to exclusively breastfeed? I am not using any formula, but am supplementing with breastmilk because I am also trying to get him used to the bottle. I have had a couple of friends who waited too long to introduce the bottle and then the baby wouldn't take it....

Any thoughts?

Exclusive BFing is the way to go for you to maintain your supply. Also, it is not recommended to introduce bottles until after 4 weeks old as it may create nipple confusion. Read this.

You're doing a great thing by BFing your child! Keep it up!
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months