Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing until age 2..

Default Nursing until age 2..

Hi ladies,

So I made it past a year! And I'm actually hoping to make it to two. My son is currently 13 months and is partially vaccinated. I'm for letting him self wean becaue I'm heard this can happen between 18-24 months but like I said I would like to nurse him until he is two because he isn't completely vaccinated. While doing my vax research I found that it was recommended to nurse until your child is two if you don't vaccinate. I want to vax but selectively but even that's becoming an issue because medicaid doesn't have many options as far as brands for selectively vaccinating and I want to get him his own insurance but I can't really afford it right now. So that means he probably wont be getting vaccinated any time soon...What I'm concerned about is that I think my little guy is trying to wean. He still nurses about three times a day but usually I have to remind him and offer him because he'll only really ask a couple of times, mid-day and for sleepy-time. Sometimes when I do try to offer him he just isn't interested because he's a super busy, energetic boy that does not stop! I don't want to force him but I don't want him to loose the immunity my milk provides -any ideas? I know it would be simpler to simply vaccinate him with anything the doctor chooses but now that I've done my research I just couldn't let that happen...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: Nursing until age 2..

I'd say just keep nursing him as much as you can and offer nursing before other foods.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I agree keep offering....
    As long as baby is nursing well 3 times in 24 hours they don't need suppliments of nurtition, I think maybe that might be true for immunity
    I don't know if you'll find much info on that.

I have no experience, but what about adding 1 or 2 pumping sessions, then he can have EBM in a cup? Maybe that's totally off?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I think it's very normal to get distracted and not focus on nursing at that age... too much going on. I also thought my dd was beginning to wean at around 15 months, but a few months later she was had increased her nursings, and is still going now at 2yr 4 months. Just keep offering, especially at quieter times, like before/after naps and bedtime.

My 15 m old only ask like 3 times I day.. I offer a few more times because I want to nurse her till at least 18m- 2years. Vaccinated or not... breasffed babies get sick less so I want her to get my immunities for a bit longer. Just keep offering. And dont offer any other "milk" unless he nurses less than 3 times in 24 hours.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I nursed my last two boys until age 2ish and agree with the above-just keep offering the breast first, also find a quieter spot to nurse as they are distracted easily at that age. Good luck!

Irvine Maid Service

on the keep offering! There is so much going on that they are just becoming aware of (now that they can move much more effeiciently and get involved in)
    Congrats on making it this far!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Not offering is a strategy for weaning. So if you don't want to wean you should definately offer frequently during the day.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    I have no experience, but what about adding 1 or 2 pumping sessions, then he can have EBM in a cup? Maybe that's totally off?
    This sounds like a pretty good idea to me. It's what I do, even though she still nurses constantly round the clock. But she likes to have "nursie meeuk" in a cup at meals.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ferchi View Post
    I think it's very normal to get distracted and not focus on nursing at that age... too much going on. I also thought my dd was beginning to wean at around 15 months, but a few months later she was had increased her nursings, and is still going now at 2yr 4 months. Just keep offering, especially at quieter times, like before/after naps and bedtime.

I have found this to be true as well. She was down to just a couple times a day, but I kept offering and it went back up.

~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!