Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh... the teeth, again

Default Ugh... the teeth, again

We've had a rough go with every new tooth, but this last round has been particularly rough. DD has five teeth, and I hope to god the sixth is almost through because it's been taking over a month. She has always nursed a little differently with each tooth but now I have a constant set of indentations from her three top teeth right above my nipple. They fade between feedings but never go away completely, and there's a red bump there that doesn't go away either. The place where her bottom teeth rest is rubbed raw.

Seriously, yesterday was so bad that I actually got a little nauseous during nursing at one point. (No, not pg!) I've tried my usual techniques to adjust her position but they aren't working. I only nurse on one side, so I never get relief from offering the other side. NTM I'm at home with her and she nurses every 2-3 hours still during the day.

The other night she started biting, with all five teeth. I unlatched her several times and told her we wouldn't nurse if she was biting, and instead of nursing she just went off to play.

I am so proud of making it to 1 year and have no intention of weaning yet, but lately I've actually found myself wondering what my options are. I can't give her cow's milk yet b/c her doctor wants to wait for some test results to make sure there are still no milk protein issues. So I would need to pump, and I'm not ready to go that route yet. I just really miss how nice our nursing relationship used to be. I used to really enjoy it, love the bond, and now each nursing session has become something to "get through."

I need encouragement, please! This will get better again, right?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Ugh... the teeth, again

It WILL get better again! I used a lot of that stuff that comes in the purple tube (what's that called again?) which helped with healing and pain issues.

Hang in there!

Oh mama! It will get better. Lanolin will certainly help with the soreness and promote healing of the raw patches. I also know how you feel about pumping. DS went on a 6 day strike the week before Christmas, and I became one with the pump--yuck! Maybe you could try nursing upsidedown, where ya'll are both lying down, and her feet are at your head. That could help with the raw patch on the bottom of the nip; but then it could create a new sore spot on top . Hang in there; those teeth can be bothersome, but the strange nursing as a result does pass.

Mama! It does get better, or actually different. The bond gets stronger for us but it seems there is always some new thing to come in the way of a smooth nursing session!

When do you get the test results and can you do almond milk or something in the mean time. She doen't need to nurse as frequently at this point so could you space it out for more relief?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

We are right there with you. I've been off the forum more because of my needy teething toodler....I hope it gets better.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Thanks ladies...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    When do you get the test results and can you do almond milk or something in the mean time. She doen't need to nurse as frequently at this point so could you space it out for more relief?
    I just sent the sample via FedEx today, and I think the lab takes a couple of weeks to process the results. I guess I could call Dr. Mike and see if I could try Almond Milk or even Soy Milk to try and space it out.

The thing is, Kaitlyn still wants to nurse all. the. time. Sometimes I worry that maybe she's not getting enough solids.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy-to-landin View Post
    We are right there with you. I've been off the forum more because of my needy teething toodler....I hope it gets better.
    to you, too! I knew I hadn't been "seeing" you around as much!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

Last night I pulled out my tube of Lansinoh, which I rarely (if ever) used in the beginning b/c it wasn't good for the thrush. It says it doesn't expire until 2010, but it kind of had an odor. Does Lansinoh have an odor or is mine just bad?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

Logan was the champion biter. The bright side is when they get molars in, they won't chomp on your nips since those teeth are in the back. And I will say w/ his canines it wasn't too bad either. It's just the first front ones that suck for biting.

I used lanolin, some neosporin mixed in there if it was really bad, and smear some breast milk on your nipples too. Oh and let them air dry, don't cover them up if you can help it.

Sorry you're going through this, it's worth it to stick it out though!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

The old lansinoh smelled (I actually love the smell of lanolin) but the new lansinoh doesn't. I am sure it is fine but if you don't want it, I'll take it!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    And I will say w/ his canines it wasn't too bad either. It's just the first front ones that suck for biting.
    Lucky you! Any teeth that come in on the top equals biting for us.