Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EPing and going back to work (plus other stuff)

Default EPing and going back to work (plus other stuff)

Well it's time. I start work again part-time the week after next. It's time to make a few decisions, so I'm here to ask for some opinions/suggestions/advice.

LO is 14 weeks old. I've been EPing since the beginning, and I rent a Medela Lactina Select from month to month. Since I plan to continue pumping, I would like to buy a pump. I was planning on buying the same pump (maybe from eBay) since I'm used to it and at 6 pumps/day, I think I need a hospital grade pump. Opinions?

I'm concerned about pumping at work. It's a new job and I'm not sure what my schedule will be yet, but I had this big brainstorm yesterday that I would buy a manual pump and pump on the way to work (in the car) and then on the way home from work (again in the car). One hand on the wheel and pump one breast, then the other hand on the wheel and pump the other breast. (It's about a 35 minute drive each way.) I was thinking about the Avent manual pump. I don't think I can double-pump in the car. When I double-pump at home, I need both hands to hold the bottles up so I don't think that would work in the car. Plus, the Lactina is so big and cumbersome that I don't know if I want to haul it to work every day and back. (Plus I just read the post about forgetting things... makes me want to have two pumps!) The Avent pump has an option that comes with bottles and a bag with gel packs that might be nice too.

And then I'm thinking about all this BPA stuff. We've been using Avent bottles since the beginning, but the more I read about BPA the more I think maybe we should buy the BPA-free bottles? We like the Avent brand though.

And lastly, (this is aside from going to work) I'm wondering about nipple flow in the bottles we use. We used the one-hole nipples in the beginning and they worked fine. At the 3 month mark, I bought the 3-hole nipples (they didn't have the 2-hole ones) and that was a disaster. We went back to the one-hole ones. Should I keep using the slow flow and just buy new ones because they are getting old? Or should I try the 3-hole ones again? He takes the one-hole bottles fine (unless he's really hungry and then he's super noisy ).
    Rene, first time mom to born 6/13/08

since day 1!

Donated 684oz (so far) to the Mother's Milk Bank of Ohio

Default Re: EPing and going back to work (plus other stuff)

Hospital grade pumps do seem to work better, in general. Have you ever tried the Medela PISA? I think it's the closest thing to a hospital grade pump if you can't find a hospital grade one to purchase. I pump 4x a day at home with my PISA, and 1x with a Medela hospital grade one (provided by my employer) at work. There is also that new Medela Freestyle. That one is hands free and very small and light. That might allow you to pump in the car. I think it would be very difficult to pump in the car with a manual pump.

Also, one of my friends was borrowing a hospital grade pump from her WIC office, and decided when she went back to work that she would just bring a manual pump because she didn't want to lug it back and forth to work. She ended up with a nasty case of mastitis because she couldn't empty her breasts as well with that pump.

What kind of place is it that you will be working? Is it a big company? If they have an HR department, you might be able to talk to them about pumping facilities and such. If it is a small workplace, I would just talk to your boss about the situation.

I think Avent might be making BPA free bottles now, but they might be hard to find. I think the Babies R Us near me had them, but they were sold out.

As for the nipples, if you do want to go to faster flow nipples, it might be best to get the 2 hole ones. I'm sure the 3 hole ones are just way too fast for him now. My son started the 3 hole ones at 6 months or so, and has been on them since.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I have a Medela PISA and find it better than the Lactina. The stimulation phase works really well to make my milk let down, but it takes forever on the Lactina. I think it might be because I'm used to the PISA, so you might find the Lactina just as good. I've used Medela's other hospital grade pump, Symphony, and of the three I think that's the best. I was told by a couple of lactation consultants that the hospital grade pumps are best to use in the first few days while your milk comes in but after that a PISA is just as good.

If you have to pump in the car I think the PISA has a car adaptor and you can get/make pumping bras so that you don't have to hold the bottles. Although I think I would find it too distracting and I think dealing with the bottles while driving would be dangerous. I think manual pumping would be more difficult and agree with pp that it just doesn't empty your breasts as well.

As for bottles, could you see if the Avent tops will fit on other bottles? I'm sure I've read somewhere that they will, but I might be wrong.

I haven't tried the Medela PISA, but after reading about it, maybe this is the best purchase for me. I don't have a problem with let-down; I used the Symphony in the hospital and found it to be a bit more gentle on my nipples than the Lactina has been. I only got the Lactina because that's the only one they had at the time and I needed one ASAP. I never switched becuase I guess I got used to it. And also after thinking more about it, I probably shouldn't pump in the car . Down with multi-tasking!

I will be working at a school teaching adults. The classes are 2.5 hours each. I am hoping to be able to pump in between classes. There is only a ten minute break between classes, but if I let one class out a little early, I should be okay. I'm familiar with pumping, so it's not like I won't know what I'm doing. The problem is that it's a new job, so I hope this is okay with the employer.

I will hold on to the 3-hole nipples for later and look into the 2-hole ones again. He's doing well on the 1-hole still, so maybe I have a few weeks to keep looking.

I looked up bottles that fit the Avent nipples/caps/rings and found that Gerber GentleFlow will work. Two links (in case anyone else is wondering):
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1140406AALYSol
    http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-GentleF.../dp/B00155ZVW6

I read that some leak (and some people had no problems with leaks), but I've had Avent bottles that leaked too.

Thanks so much!

since day 1!

FWIW, we use the Born Free (bpa free) bottles and rings fitted with the Avent nipples. Those were the ones he preferred and the nipples are bpa free, just not the bottle. They will fit a little tighter but they have never leaked on us.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I agree, the PIS Advanced is a really good pump. Also, Avent does make BPA-free bottles now. I have seen them at my local Target, and just checked online, too. You can purchase them online or check to see if a local store has them. Hope this helps!

I agree. The PIS advanced is a really good pump. Also, Avent does make BPA free bottles now. I have seen them at my local Target. I checked online and you can purchase them online or check to see what stores near you carry them. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elis-mom View Post
    I was planning on buying the same pump (maybe from eBay) since I'm used to it and at 6 pumps/day, I think I need a hospital grade pump. Opinions?
    I totally missed this part in your OP. Sorry!

I bought a Lactina Select and I am so glad that I did. It really isn't that cumbersome to carry around. I bought a slim black bag from Target and it fits right in there. I never have to take it out and it is more quiet than the PIS.
    I tried the PIS for a while but it just didn't work for me. I know a lot of moms use it though!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

We bought the Gerber GentleFlow bottles and LOVE them so far. No leaks and they fit the Avent rings/nipples/caps perfectly. BPA-free. We also got the slow flow Avent nipples (one step up from the newborn flow) and that also seems to be working really well.

Also, I got a PISA the other day. Seems to be working well so far. I have the rental for another two weeks though just in case. It seems to empty my breasts a lot faster than the Lactina, and once it gets going it doesn't bother my nipples as much. My husband came in to the room last night wondering what I was doing because he didn't hear the pump - yay!

Thanks for all your help!

since day 1!