Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 week old not gaining weight

Unhappy 2 week old not gaining weight

Hi recently took my son to his 2 week check up. The Dr. discovered that he has failed to gain any weight. He was born at 8.3 and left the hospital at 7.10which is where he is now..still. I've had problems with getting him to latch on and now he doesn't seem interested in eating at all. He would sleep for hours if he wasn't woken up to eat. I have to return to finish my last semester of college in a few days and so I bought a breastpump to help. However, I can't get any milk to come out. I really don't want to give him formula but I don't know what else to do. The Dr. put us on a fixed feeding schedule and we have another appt in a week. Nothing seems to be working. I can't get him to eat for the 10 min on each side and when I pump I usually can't get more than 1 oz from each side at a time. I'm getting very discouraged and need help.

Default Re: 2 week old not gaining weight

I'm no expert, but to make sure he was getting something, I would give him the expressed milk from a medicine dropper.

Have you tried feeding him after you pumped a little? Pumping gets the milk to flowing easier for him.

Have you sat down with a lactation consultant and let her watch you nurse? They can give pointers to you.

when you say you can't get him to eat for the 10 min on each side, do you mean he pulls off like he doesn't want anymore? or is he falling asleep? i was going to suggest if he's sleepy you could try undressing him to his diaper and remove your top clothes as well. you can try massaging his feet and hands to encourage him to stay awake to feed. lots of skin to skin is supposed to help encourage babies to eat and thus helps them gain weight... HTH & good luck & congrats on your new baby.

Wow. I was just going to post this exact same thing. My daughter was born at 7lbs 2oz. She dropped to 6lbs 7oz. the day we left the hospital. The next day she was back up to 6lbs. 9oz. Today I took her for her 2 week appt. and she weighed 6lbs 11oz. The doctor was very concerned. However, my little one gets her diaper changed with every feeding. She is always wet and probably has 3-5 poopy diapers a day. She's definitely getting milk, so why isn't she gaining? I'm stressing big time about it. She goes back Monday for a weight check. I'm PRAYING she gains!!!

My dd did the same thing. I ended up having to feed her an ounce of formula after every bfeeding session for 2 weeks (but that was when she was first born).

If your baby is 2 weeks old and not gaining that is a sign he is not getting enough. If he is falling asleep at the breast after only feeding a short bit he may not be latched on correctly enough to get milk. Babies get frustrated and just fall asleep - even if they are hungry. OR you could just have a sleepy baby and need to keep waking him up. Check this out: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ns.html#sleepy

I ended up having to go to a nipple shield to help get baby latched on. With a lot of patience she finally latched correctly. It took about 3 days. We have been bfeeding just fine ever since.

best of luck. I know it is emotionally draining, but I promise it will get better.

op how often is the baby nursing? What are his wet and poopy diapars like.
    Sometimes a baby will eat just what they need to live but not what they need to grow.
    You might want to try and wake the baby to feed more often. it's important in the 1st few weeks to build your milk supply.
    Try and feed at least every 2 hours during the day. Sometimes babies are content and they don't ask to nurse as much as the should.
    I would count diapars and if they didn't have the 6 wets and 3 poops I would try and sit down in the eve and nurse them.
    Taking the baby to bed and having a nurse in might help too.
    Take off your top and bra and the babies clothes, something about skin to skin makes them want to nurse more. YOu might have to do this for a couple of days.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html
    one oz is pretty good output for a pump at 2 weeks, are you pumping after the baby eats? And what about bottles?
    You realy should call one of your local leaders they can help! beter than we can on-line.
    what kind of schudle did the doctor put the baby on?