Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Good news and bad news

Default Good news and bad news

The good news is that I found a pharmacy that can make me the miracle nipple cream. The bad news is that the cracks on my nipples are hurting so horribly bad that I was unable to nurse my baby tonight. I'm going to try to pump later to see if that may be less painful so I can do that while these cracks are healing.

So tomorrow I pick up the cream, then I have to call my OB to up the dosage of my Diflucan. I'm afraid they're going to give me a hard time about it. Have to pick up baby's meds and start her on it and just wait and pray that this gets better.

I'm feeling really frustrated/sad/scared tonight. This is exhausting but I just don't want to give up nursing unless I've given it a good fight.

Default Re: Good news and bad news

Quote Originally Posted by ShariD
    The good news is that I found a pharmacy that can make me the miracle nipple cream. The bad news is that the cracks on my nipples are hurting so horribly bad that I was unable to nurse my baby tonight. I'm going to try to pump later to see if that may be less painful so I can do that while these cracks are healing.

So tomorrow I pick up the cream, then I have to call my OB to up the dosage of my Diflucan. I'm afraid they're going to give me a hard time about it. Have to pick up baby's meds and start her on it and just wait and pray that this gets better.

I'm feeling really frustrated/sad/scared tonight. This is exhausting but I just don't want to give up nursing unless I've given it a good fight.
    Hang in there! I felt relief after just a couple days of treatment ... I stopped crying every nursing after just one day. You can do it! You've come so far ... you should be very proud, thrush pain can be excruciating! l you have any breast shields to protect your nipples now? I wore mine for about a week and it seemed to help with the pain ... and nursing was less painful because they were keeping clothes from rubbing against them and making it worse. I used these Soft Shells by Medela upon my lactation consultant's advice ... HERE (the large opening).

If your OB gives you a hard time about the Diflucan can you have a lactation consultant give her the latest recommendations for dosage and treatment? That is what I had to do. OB's are used to treating vaginal yeast infections with a smaller, one time dose. As you've read, it's not effective to kill a breast yeast infection .... most especially if it's invaded the ducts. Be firm about it and tell them that the infection is jepordizing your breastfeeding relationship. Tell them the following: "Dr. Thomas Hale in Medications and Mother's Milk states that to resolve some yeast infections, many clinicians recommend that treatment should last for two weeks or more, depending on the severity." Dr. Hale is an authority on medications for nursing mothers. Also mention Dr. Jack Newman's protocol for Candida. Print this handout out and show it to them if necessary (I've quoted the dosage part below again, even though I already did so in another thread for you):

Handout #20 Fluconazole revised January 2005
    Written by Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC. © 2005

Dose of fluconazole

Candida albicans is learning to become resistant to fluconazole, and the dose we use has increased over the past few years. Only a few years ago, 100 mg daily for 10 days cured 90% of women of their symptoms. We have now found this to be inadequate. For resistant cases, a newer antifungal agent, itraconazole, can be used, though it may not be the answer either as it does not have a very powerful effect against Candida.

Your prescription will be for fluconazole 400 mg as a first dose, followed by 100 mg twice daily until you are pain free for a full week, which usually means at least two weeks. This seems, on the basis of our experience, a fairly good guarantee against relapse. If you have nipple pain continue with the “all purpose nipple ointment” (± gentian violet and grapefruit seed extract) while you are taking fluconazole. However, this means that although most mothers require only the usual two weeks, some need longer treatment. Occasionally it may take up to seven to ten days for the pain to even start going away. Call if there is no relief in seven days. If there is no relief in 10 days, none at all, it is very unlikely fluconazole is going to be of any help.

It is sometimes useful to treat the baby as well. The dose for the baby would be 6 mg/kg as a first dose, followed by 3 mg/kg/day as one dose for the same period of time as the mother.
    Don't give up! Relief is right around the corner.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon