Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastmilk feeding by father?

Default Breastmilk feeding by father?

I hope someone can help me with this! I am currently pregnant and have my heart set on breastfeeding my baby - this is also our first. I have to go back to work for about 3 hours a day after a 4 week maternity break. During that time period, I would like to have some pumped milk prepared which will allow my husband to feed the baby while I am at work. I have read that using a bottle this early on can cause the baby to reject the breast in favor of the bottle - so I was wondering whether there was any other apparatus he could use to feed the baby while I am out? When I am home, I would like to continue to breastfeed rather than use a pump/bottle combination. I live in the UK - although am American - so if there is anything that can help us which is available in the US (my mother can send it to me), I would really love to know! I don't think anything is available to me here outside of a hospital environment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Breastmilk feeding by father?

I had good luck with the Adiri breast bottles. The are the closest at mimicing the breast. My son recieves 3-4 feedings a day from these bottles while I am at work. Hopefully you will get some more suggestions, so you have more choices. http://www.adiri.com/main/index.php

I am sure someone will have link for you that provides better advice but from personal experience, I did not have this problem and introduced a bottle at about two weeks(which is not recomended) due to sore nipples. Pumping and feeding the bottle gave me a short break, allowing healing. I think too that all babies are different. You may need to find a well recomended lactation consultant or la leche leaque leader/ meeting to help. Playtex drop-ins nurser system makes a nipple that is more like Mom's breast which is supposed to help with nipple confusion. I like the rubber brown ones verses silicone clear because they feel more like skin. I am sure you can make this work and you have come to the right place for help and advice. The moms on this site are great and have an incredible amount of resources, knowledge, and experience. Breastfeeding can take a lot of determination and support. I am so happy you are making this choice for your baby. Whenever someone talks about Dads helping, I think of "Meet The Faukers" and his fake breast for feeding the baby. What a riot! I am surprised noone has made something like that! Good luck with the delivery and working through these challenges!

Yes, there are other alternatives to bottles for feeding while mom is away! Many babies can go back and forth from breast to bottle just fine, but many do not. The earlier a bottle is introduced the more likely to cause nipple confusion/preference. In the early weeks, a syringe is one option for feeding that works well. Also, newborn babies can be cup fed. There are feeding cups designed specifically for this purpose--I believe they are small, flexible plastic cups. There is one called a Foley cup and I believe that other companies that make bottles/pumps and that sort of stuff also make feeding cups for babies. I'm not sure where to find them, but I'll look around on line and see if I see any. Someone had mentioned in another thread that they sell them at Babies-R-Us, so you could maybe try there. Cup or Syringe feeding is a little more time consuming/difficult than bottle feeding, but since you will only be gone a short time I think it would definitely be feasible. After your baby gets a little older, you could switch to using an occasional bottle with less risk of problems.

Welcome and congratulations on your soon to be born little one! And kudos to you for choosing to give your baby the priceless gift of breastfeeding.

There are a few options for alternative methods of feeding that don't involve bottles (some are a soft cup, dropper, spoon, syringe) ... you can find a list here as well as instructions on how to implement them:

Alternative Feeding Methods

If your baby is younger than 5-6 weeks old, it is really important to avoid using a bottle if possible for a couple of reasons:

Using a bottle instead of breastfeeding can interfere with mom's efforts to establish a good milk supply

Bottles increase your baby's risk of nipple confusion or flow preference (kellymom.com states: "With bottle feeding, the flow is instant and continuous. The baby is required to work very little. Once a baby has had a bottle, especially a lot of bottles, she may begin to prefer the ease of bottle-feeding over the work of breastfeeding. She may become frustrated at the breast after the first let-down occurs and the flow of milk begins to slow.")

If you do end up giving a bottle there are ways to help avoid nipple confusion. See:

I Need to Feed My Baby from a Bottle. Can You Help?
    Avoiding nipple confusion in babies who take both breast and bottle
    Avoiding Nipple Confusion by Becky Flora, IBCLC

Again, congrats, mama! Breast milk provides your baby the perfect nutrition, in the perfect amount, at the right temperature - any time, any where - and you also get the wonderful benefits of bonding with your baby, providing not only nourishment, but comfort, warmth and love.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I'll weigh in on how it worked with us... Of course all babies are different and sometimes things turn out differently than we expect. I had surgery on day 4 after delivery and while I was under anaesthesia DS got hungry and they had to feed him formula from a Medela bottle. We hadn't anticipated the surgery and I was rushed in so I didn't have time to pump any colostrum into a bottle. [The little guy tore my cervix on the way out. Ouch.]

Needless to say he ate from a bottle at that time, then continued to breastfeed and eat from the Medela bottles. He didn't seem to mind the feeding source as long as there was breastmilk in it! But from talking to others it sounds like he may have been an extra flexible, easy baby to be like that. Some day we'll probably hit reality with baby #2!

I went back to work full time when he was 10 weeks old. All summer he's been taking bottles of breast milk from daddy and nursing whenever I'm home. Occasionally DS objects to bottles because he'd rather have mommy, or "straight from the tap" as DH says. : )
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    Nursed both boys to 14 months
    Birth Doula
    Wisconsin!

I had almost the exact same experience as Mia'smom and my baby did not have any nipple confusion. I bf her in the morning, at night, and on weekends, and she takes pumped bm from a playtex natural latch bottle during the weekdays and has since she was 2 weeks old. I also know that introducing a bottle that early is not recommended because of risk of nipple confusion.
    Maybe you could look into some of the alternatives mentioned by pp, but try a "natural latch" or similar bottle nipple as a last resort.
    I hope this isn't too confusing! I applaud you on your decision to breastfeed and I wish you a successful birth!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

We did have a problem with a bottle given too early. I was rushed to emergency surgery within an hour of giving birth due to hemorrhage and a massive tear, and the baby developed low blood glucose (even though I nursed him right away). Someone gave him a bottle, and I had serious trouble nursing that boy for weeks, even though he had latched on perfectly in the birth center. I'm also looking into alternative ways to feed the baby, in case a similar scenario pops up since nipple confusion happened to us. I think nipple confusion is poorly named -- my baby wasn't confused; he sure knew where it was easier to get milk from!

One hint I've heard is to have someone else always offer the bottle so the baby doesn't start to associate you with the bottle in any way. Even the low-flow bottles are easier to drink from than mom though. I've also heard that the baby may be more likely to take a bottle from someone else, but they might have days where they just want it from you.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by IansMommy
    I think nipple confusion is poorly named -- my baby wasn't confused; he sure knew where it was easier to get milk from!
    So true! LOL!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon