Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it possible?! (1 month break?)

Question Is it possible?! (1 month break?)

I stopped breast feeding due to the fact her pedi (who is also my family doctor) told me I couldn't take it with the ADD medication I needed to take. So I reluctantly stopped BF. However, I have missed it tremendously!

Is it REALLY possible to resume after a month break? It hasn't been a week or two.. it's been an entire month. My supply went from being able to spray milk out of my breasts to be able to dribble a few drops.

I decided to not take the ADD meds and take a more holistic approach.

Anyway - I guess today is my first OFFICIAL day back to nursing, although I have yet to successfully nurse her. I have been pumping all day long with as little to show for it other than ON OCCASION a few wet nipples. But definitely nothing going into the bottle. (Is that normal???!) Does that mean this will be unsuccessful?

I've had 6 fenugreek capsules today.. am drinking water.. I've had oatmeal and I made my order for domperidone. (Which should be here in about two weeks...)

I am nervous to nurse my daughter because everytime she latches on, she gags! I don't know why!! It's not as if I have a lot of milk coming out (like websites say in regards to gagging).. So I really don't understand what is happening..

Would appreciate some thoughts and suggestions.. Thank you!

Default Re: Is it possible?! (1 month break?)

Yes!

it is totally possible, don't give up, I don't have specefic advice except hang on and other moms will be checking in to help more

a few guesses with the gagging, are you waering any perfume or deodorant, used a scented soap, anything like that? also i know that when nursing lo needs to pull the nipple back deep into the mouth, perhaps she just had some trouble latching and got gagged kwim? try pinteing your nippl eto the roof of her mouth and taking it slow...

baths together and lots of skin to skin contact will halp, as well as power pumping, i'll try to find a link but basically pump for a 5-10 minutes stop for 5-10 minutes, then repeat several times....

also I'm certain it is normal to not get anything your first few times pumping again
    lots of women have resumed BF after longer periods and some even with adopted babies!!
    Last edited by @llli*lidarln; September 20th, 2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: more info
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

here is a great thread where a mama from here successfully re-lactated and tracked her progress

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=56749
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks! I will check out those links.

I haven't tried to nurse her too much - only to see if she would take to my breast. She still will - without any argument so that is good. (She never was picky!) I also got a nipple shield, thinking that may be easier on her. (for now.. and I can worry about weaning her off it later...)

My DH won't let me nurse her (even with the nipple shield) until we find out how long straterra stays in breastmilk. The answer doesn't appear to be anywhere. (ugh).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    Yes!

it is totally possible, don't give up, I don't have specefic advice except hang on and other moms will be checking in to help more

a few guesses with the gagging, are you waering any perfume or deodorant, used a scented soap, anything like that? also i know that when nursing lo needs to pull the nipple back deep into the mouth, perhaps she just had some trouble latching and got gagged kwim? try pinteing your nippl eto the roof of her mouth and taking it slow...

baths together and lots of skin to skin contact will halp, as well as power pumping, i'll try to find a link but basically pump for a 5-10 minutes stop for 5-10 minutes, then repeat several times....

also I'm certain it is normal to not get anything your first few times pumping again
    lots of women have resumed BF after longer periods and some even with adopted babies!!
    I only have a single electric pump.. so do I pump 15 minutes one breast. Rest 15 minutes, then 15 minutes OTHER breast.. OR Do I pump 15 minutes each breast and "rest" meaning, going to a different breast for another 15 minutes?

Actually just got an email from Dr. Jack Newman saying the drug was out of my system and breastmilk already. YAY!