Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gagging

Thumbs down Gagging

I the last few times I have tried nursing my LO he gags. I thought it maybe bec my size has changed due to the decrease in supply he was doing that earlier, but now I'm not so sure that is the case. I just tried feeding him before my first morning pumping session and he just kept gagging even though he seemed to want to nurse.

Any clues?????

Default Re: Gagging

I'm guessing overactive letdown. Your milk is likely coming out faster flow than he can handle. Try nursing while reclining, elevated football hold, or lying down. Going against gravity helps.

how old is your baby? Sometimes as they get older, babies can handle overactive letdown a little better. If you unlatch him, is your milk spraying? You could try to let it spray into a towel and then relatch him when the flow slows down a little.

check out this article!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

he is 3 months old and when I unlatch him its not spraying. I doubt that it would since I'm trying to relactate at this point. Not to mention when I bottle feed him, when he isnt trying to actively suck sometimes he gags than too. My only concern is that it happened everytime i tried to nurse him.