Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused over symptoms...

Default Confused over symptoms...

BF DS who's 9 wks has been a nightmare for the last 4 weeks. Started as extreme nipple pain in my left breast as DS latched and horrible sharp stabbing pain deep in the breast as well, before, during and after a feeding. A bleb was noticeable too. I figured it was a blocked duct, so I treated it as so. After a week of constant crying in pain, I went to the Dr. ( I now thought it could be nipple thrush - DS had no signs of it in his mouth). Dr. said it sounds like a combination of thrush and a blocked duct. She gave me Canesten cream 2x/day and gave DS Nystatin 4x/day as a preventitive measure. It's been 13 days...his meds are done...my nipple pain is better but the pain is my breast is still around. Definitely not as sharp, but I still can't really rub it or press on it and I cannot hold DS against that side. I also experience vasospasm after he nurses. Dr. told me to go back if it persists and she'll gave me an antibiotic to clear it.

If it really is thrush, is an antibiotic the next step? If it's not, what could it be? I'm so confused and ready to quit

Default Re: Confused over symptoms...

I understand your frustration and confusion! You've got a lot going on mama!

I first want to see if you can get in contact with a local LLL Leader or a Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). They have experience with nursing moms, and lactation is their "main field".

The deep stabbing pain your describing, is that just in your left side? Is it red, hard, or swollen?

Do you have cracking and bleeding on one or both of your nipples?

If there is thrush, an antibiotic will make it worse. I don't think that nipple blanching/vasospasm can be cleared up with medication. Have you seen this page on it?

I do think that something is going on! Get in touch with the Leader or IBCLC, hands on in person help is priceless!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

hang in there! I know you'll get some good information here. Are you in contact with your local LLL? If not, you can find one in your area by clicking the resources link above. Your doing great. Don't give up yet

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

If it is thrush, perhaps you could ask your doctor to prescribe All Purpose Nipple Ointment (sometimes referred to as APNO) or you could try gentian violet. If you do a search you will find TONS of info on both as many of us have battled thrush (and won!).

You can do this... it will get better.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

[. Started as extreme nipple pain in my left breast as DS latched and horrible sharp stabbing pain deep in the breast as well, before, during and after a feeding. A bleb was noticeable too. I figured it was a blocked duct, so I treated it as so. After a week of constant crying in pain, I went to the Dr. ( I now thought it could be nipple thrush - DS had no signs of it in his mouth). Dr. said it sounds like a combination of thrush and a blocked duct. She gave me Canesten cream 2x/day and gave DS Nystatin 4x/day as a preventitive measure. It's been 13 days...his meds are done...my nipple pain is better but the pain is my breast is still around. Definitely not as sharp, but I still can't really rub it or press on it and I cannot hold DS against that side. I also experience vasospasm after he nurses. Dr. told me to go back if it persists and she'll gave me an antibiotic to clear it.

Hang it there! You are not alone! I have almost the same problem myself but things do get better. If it is thrush some days will be better than the others but you absolutely need to talk either to a lactation consultant or LLL leader as doctors prove not to be fully aware of all the problems we have.
    I am trying Nistatin for my nipples, as well as soda mixture (2 tsp of baking soda mixed with 1/2glass of water) to wash my breast in addition to a new bra and a towel every day.

Thanks for your replies ladies! I'm trying to stay positive and taking it day by day.

Jessica, the pain is on my left breast only...the right is perfect! My nipples are not cracked or bleeding. The nipple pain does come and go. It was better until friday night and then all night friday and saturday all day I dreaded feeding him on that side. Today it's feeling better. But the soreness in the breast tissue is still there.

I will definitely look into a group in my area tomorrow. I think trying to figure things out on my own is not the way to go, and I don't think my MD is very knowledgeable in this area of medicine

Quick question...I've read while experiencing thrush you should not store BM, is that right?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*diemme View Post
    Quick question...I've read while experiencing thrush you should not store BM, is that right?
    I believe that while treating thrush you can continue to give your baby fresh pumped milk from that day, but you should not freeze BM to give to your baby later because freezing may not kill the yeast and it could reintroduce the thrush at a later time.

I hope you are able to get in touch with your local group soon - you will be amazed at how much support they can offer you!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

So, I finally got a hold of some help. My local group isn't meeting until later in October, so I called the LC at the hospital. She was very helpful! I'm starting the Gentian Violet treatment tonight, as well as Acidophilus and vinegar rinses as well. I then have an appt to meet her on friday. In addition, I got an appt at the Jack Newman clinic in October (they're pretty busy over there!), if it's still lingering around by then.

Thanks ladies for encouraging me...I was so ready to give up BF on the weekend...but after reading much more horrible stories on this site, I decided to stick with it a bit longer and stop wining!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*diemme View Post
    So, I finally got a hold of some help. My local group isn't meeting until later in October, so I called the LC at the hospital. She was very helpful! I'm starting the Gentian Violet treatment tonight, as well as Acidophilus and vinegar rinses as well. I then have an appt to meet her on friday. In addition, I got an appt at the Jack Newman clinic in October (they're pretty busy over there!), if it's still lingering around by then.

Thanks ladies for encouraging me...I was so ready to give up BF on the weekend...but after reading much more horrible stories on this site, I decided to stick with it a bit longer and stop wining!!!
    This is wonderful - I'm glad you were able to get in touch with someone and get some help! I hope you'll continue to ask for help and support when you need it - that's what we are here for.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09