Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastmilk volume decreasing!HELP!

Exclamation Breastmilk volume decreasing!HELP!

Okay, I am starting to panic. My LO is almost 5 months old and for the past week the volume of BM I can pump out is steadily decreasing. Since I started back to work which was two months ago I've been pumping twice at work and have been pumping out about 20 oz. total from those sessions. The past week I've seen the total volume decrease to 12 oz. I'm starting to panic now since my LO is wanting to eat more and I am barely keeping up with him. I do have a good freezer stash but I always want to feed him the freshest milk possible. I only work 2 days a week and I was hoping to not have to pump on the days I don't work but I might not have a choice. I guess I have just been spoiled by my good milk production. I also think my LO might be going through a growth spurt because he always wants to eat especially if he is nursing. I was just wondering how long it should take for my supply to increase to his needs. In the past it has only taken a day or so to catch up but now it has been more than a week and it still hasn't picked up it is getting worse. Could my pump be wearing out?
    Any help would be great!

Default Re: Breastmilk volume decreasing!HELP!

This is really freaking you out!

The first thing I always ask is about the pump, when you say your supply is slowly decreasing. What sort of pump is it? Have you tried to replace all of the wearable parts? How often are you able to pump during the day?

Also, pumping 20oz is A LOT! Pumping 12oz sounds very good still, although I understand that's not what has been normal for you. How much is he taking while your away? An average amount is 1-1.5oz per hour your gone. Now like you said, during a growth spurt he might take a little more everyday. It is really easy to over feed a baby with a bottle!

Also anything going on with you? Has your period returned? Possible to be pregnant?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

According to my doctor and my LC, milk production can decrease when starting back to work. I have a four month old daughter. I only have time to pump a couple of times at work each day, so I still pump in the middle of the night to keep up with her needs. It sounds crazy to pump at 2 a.m., but I have the most productive pumping sessions in the middle of the night. What about you? Perhaps you could tack on a morning pumping session if the middle of the night won't work for you. My LC said that milk production tends to peak between 2 - 8 a.m. I hope this helps. I'm not an expert, but I can definitely relate to the panic of volume decreasing when work begins!

I just read the PP, and I need to add that 20 oz. is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Also, I WISH I could get even 12 oz. from just two pumping sessions. Maybe you have a case of oversupply that is now changing to "just right" for baby. I don't know.

My doctor said that 5-6 oz. is what most babies (around that age) will eat in a single bottlefeeding session...how much is your baby getting?

One last thing - the weekend is a good time to catch up on pumping milk. You might prefer that to the middle of the night sessions I'm doing. (Although I pump in the middle of the night during the weekends, too.)
    Last edited by @llli*rorysmom; September 19th, 2008 at 08:27 PM.

I have a PISA pump that I have been using and it has been working like a charm. The only parts that I have replaced is the tubing and the small white valves (I think that is what they are?) that go with the pump. While I am away from my LO it is for about 9-9 1/2 hrs. During this time period he will eat anywhere from 10-14 oz during the course of 3 feedings. He is a big boy though. At his 4 month ped appt. he was almost 16 lbs. Also, I am not pregnant and my period has not returned yet (thank goodness!!) I do have to be at work at 7:00am so a pumping session before work might not be a bad idea!