Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EPing and Weaning (X-posted in pumping)

Default EPing and Weaning (X-posted in pumping)

I have been EPing for almost a year. I never thought I would make it so far. I know that if I was nursing my DS, I would probably let him self-wean, but I just don't want to pump forever. I have learned so much from these forums, and I feel that I know what I need to do next time to bring my baby to the breast and have a good breastfeeding relationship.

I want to do this very gradually. I would like to completely stop pumping at around 18 months or so, and I would really like to TTC around that time too. I know with how much milk I am pumping now, the chances of getting pregnant are very slim. Here is some information on my situation:

From about 6 weeks to 9 months I pumped 6 times a day, and pumped about 65 ounces a day. At around 9 months, I cut down to 5 pumping sessions a day, but I still pump 60 ounces a day. In the next couple months I would like to cut down to 3 sessions and about pump 20-25 ounces. Even with all the milk I have donated, I still have a freezer stash of about 840 ounces. Maybe I can stretch that out so that he can get my milk until 19 or 20 months. He is still drinking 25-30 ounces a day, but we are finally getting him to drink very diluted juice (25%) from a straw cup, and he is cutting back gradually. He has 3 hearty meals of solids and a few snacks. I want to very gradually introduce him to some organic cow's milk in a few months.

So... my questions. What is the best way to do this? How long should I wait between cutting out pumping sessions? Right now I pump at 6:30am, 11am, 4pm, 7pm and 10pm. I would like to cut out the 7pm session and then the 11am session. I guess I'm just looking for any good advice from pumping mamas who have done this before, or have cut out pumping sessions. I don't want to end up with mastitis.

TIA
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Default Re: EPing and Weaning (X-posted in pumping)

I was JUST getting on here to post almost the EXACT same thing! How weird...I have not been so lucky to pump so much in excess (I guess b/c I didn't start out EPing). I will start a new thread so as not to hijack!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Default Re: EPing and Weaning (X-posted in pumping)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alyssa.mommy View Post
    I was JUST getting on here to post almost the EXACT same thing! How weird...I have not been so lucky to pump so much in excess (I guess b/c I didn't start out EPing). I will start a new thread so as not to hijack!
    Wow! Well, I'm sure we can learn from both threads. And as we both go through this we can talk about what has worked for each of us. Good luck!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine