Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply and Twins

Default Oversupply and Twins

HI Everyone...
    This is a duplicate post from the twins thread...I wasn't sure the best place to post this...thanks

I have twin daughters...4 months old this week...
    I have been pumping for them since their birth, for various reasons. I am currently working to get them back to the breast, however reading information here and on the pump moms website, I believe I have over-supply...(I'm able to feed my girls and still freeze about 20-30 oz/day)
    I'm just wondering how to deal with that, while the same time breast feeding the one that will latch (when she will latch) and still pumping to have enough milk for the other that is not willing to latch well yet....and to not totally quit pumping to put my supply at risk .... AND.... to decrease the production to the point the girls are able to swallow and not have it run out of the side of their mouth...tear my nipples off when they turn their heads to slow the flow...etc...
    I am already leaning back (against gravity) which helps...
    I'm trying to go longer between pumpings ( now often go 4-5 hours between pumpings) ...
    Have also read the stuff about expressing into a diaper..etc..haven't gone that far...just am more conscious when the flow starts...not to overwhelm the girls...

Anyway...
    I've had yeast issues, interstitial bacterial infection issues...poor latch issues...and still I pump...(and feed) and still I get frustrated! ... Often asking, why can't I just have a "normal" breast feeding experience with my girls!!

I forgot to add..

Yes I have consulted a IBCLC...paid my consult fee last week...met with her one time...the girls nursed great in front of her, left her office and one of them wouldn't nurse any more...
    I called to follow-up at the end of the week (twice), as she requested, requested a return call with my frustrations...and havn't heard from her since.
    I did attend one LLL meeting...the closest one to my home is 40 miles one way...the IBCLC is 50 miles one way...
    SO.....
    I'm here to share 'life' with you guys! :-)
    I'm new here, and just learning my way around...
    Thanks for 'listening'! :-)
    Melissa N

Default Re: Oversupply and Twins

Hi Melissa,
    Did you get some responses on the Multiples forum?

I received one response yesterday morning. Thanks for asking.
    Last edited by Mepper; August 15th, 2006 at 09:02 PM.

How are things going for you now?

Were you able to connect via phone with the LLLL from the meeting?

I'm sure she would be happly to discuss this with you in more detail than we can here.

But, it sounds like you are doing a lot of the things that my info suggests for your situation.

What are the main symptoms of oversupply? (for you and the girls?) Obviously the extra milk is a big indicator, and you mentioned them gagging and having trouble with the flow.

How long do your pumping sessions last? Do you get more than one let-down at that time?

Are either of the girls latching now at all?

Thanks for your message. No, I did not contact the LLLL of the one meeting I attended. I have been out of town for the past week and have not really worked any further, on nursing my girls (trying to get them to the breast). I will, however this weekend, since we're back home and it's quieter. I've just cut back and spaced out my pumpings a little bit recently...and then two nights ago my girls started sleeping through the night...so I'm trying to figure out how to factor that in to the supply/demand picture. Right now I'm still getting up at night to pump, as I'm not sure this sleeping through the night is going to last. I guess I'm too excited to hope it's a long lived thing!
    Karen Gromada responded to my post on the multiples forum, and I'm sure she'll have some good advice as well. Thank you again

Well I'm glad Karen was able to respond. I am confident that she will be able to give you the suggestions to help this work for you!