Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constant nursing at 9 months

Default Constant nursing at 9 months

DD has been nursing constantly for the past couple of days. It was definitely more frequent yesterday after surgery, but I seem to recall it being this way even beforehand.

She's looking to nurse at least every two hours, sometimes three, and started waking up several times a night again. Yesterday she nursed so often that sometimes I wouldn't even get a letdown. But she would just stay latched on for 20 minutes anyway (which is a super long time for her). It was the first time in a long time, ever really, where I actually felt "empty" when she was nursing. I know you're not ever really empty but it certainly felt like she was nursing at an empty tap.

So here's what I'm wondering: Is there a 9-month growth spurt? Is this a sign that she might be ready for more solids than she's been getting?

ETA: She has two teeth already and I think her first upper tooth is coming in, if that matters. She did increase night nursing with the lower teeth but not so much during the day.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Constant nursing at 9 months

Yes! There is a 9 month growth spurt and I thought it was by far the longest and the roughest. DS was eating solids at that point, but not much. Hang in there!
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Default Re: Constant nursing at 9 months

My son nurses more now than he did as an infant. It's a myth that all children start off strong and wind down.

Teething could definitely be the cause of it. DS always nurses even more when teeth are on their way through.

Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky