Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people push solids?! -- VENT

Default Re: Why do people push solids?! -- VENT

I have started some solids (just once a day, most days) and my MIL was watching him the other day while I was at work and my husband was at a meeting and she asked my FIL if he was on oatmeal in the evening too. She was telling this to me the following night and when I said no, she said, but he ate so much EBM! I replied, he's supposed to! Um, solids aren't supposed to replace milk! Argh!
    Margaret and
    DS 2/06 nursed x1yr
    and DD 3/08, so far so good!

Quote Originally Posted by britebow
    Hey you took "my" quote!

It's a good one though, isn't it?

I want to say way to go for relactating and keeping it "under wraps". It's not their business anyway, and you need positive support.
    I did take your quote... Sorry! I just really felt like it fits me and my situation very well. I have been feeling discouraged in my relactation efforts but seeing that quote makes me a feel a little better...

Thanks for the positive support!

My FIL is also baggering me about my son starting solids. He says something along the lines of "he needs to eat real food soon, not liquids". Of course I looked at him and said he is eating real food. BM is the best food in the world. Today I have printed out a 1 page document about when to introduce solids. I plan to give it to him tonight. http://www.lightlink.com/hilinda/Diane/solids.html

Quote Originally Posted by ctkubis
    My FIL is also baggering me about my son starting solids. He says something along the lines of "he needs to eat real food soon, not liquids". Of course I looked at him and said he is eating real food. BM is the best food in the world. Today I have printed out a 1 page document about when to introduce solids. I plan to give it to him tonight. http://www.lightlink.com/hilinda/Diane/solids.html
    That's a good idea. I would add something like "this is my final answer, no more questions about the subject, please and thank you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mama2Caleb2006
    And is 5-6 oz every 3-4 hours really too much? Not according to the ped.
    Actually, that is a whole lot of formula, if I'm doing the math right. FF babies aren't supposed to take more than 32 oz of formula in 24 hours as a general rule. Forumula is not the same a breastmilk and too much can actually be bad for them from what I've read. Here is what Dr Sears has to say (he doesn't give any numbers in his guidlines):

from http://www.askdrsears.com/html/0/T000100.asp#T031009
    Signs that your baby is being fed too much at each feeding are:

a lot of spitting up or profuse vomiting immediately after the feeding
    colicky abdominal pain (baby draws his legs up onto a tense abdomen) immediately after feeding
    excessive weight gain

If these signs of overfeeding occur, offer smaller-volume feedings more frequently, burp baby once or twice during the feeding, and occasionally offer a bottle of water instead of formula.
    I also notice he doesn't say, "If your baby is drinking too much formula, give him solids". lol

hmm.. the ped said that was a normal amount...

He sleeps through the night though if that makes a difference...

Quote Originally Posted by Mama2Caleb2006
    hmm.. the ped said that was a normal amount...

He sleeps through the night though if that makes a difference...
    Oh, maybe the sleeping through the night does make a difference. How many hours does he sleep? When you said "every 3-4 hours" I assumed that was every 3-4 hours around the clock, or 6-8 feedings a day. Since you know your own baby, you do that math! How many total oz does he generally take in 24 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Feorsteorra
    Oh, maybe the sleeping through the night does make a difference. How many hours does he sleep? When you said "every 3-4 hours" I assumed that was every 3-4 hours around the clock, or 6-8 feedings a day. Since you know your own baby, you do that math! How many total oz does he generally take in 24 hours?
    LOL! That was my fault! After you said that, I called my ped up and spoke to her and she said that 32 to 36 oz a day is normal. She said that his food intake is right in line with the norm for his age (4 months) and his weight (a whopping 15 lbs). She told me that food at this point is at my discretion since he doesn't 'need' it for nutritional values. She was trying to say that solids will mean he eats less formula but I had to disagree with her on that. He used to have cereal in every bottle (8 tablespoons per 6 oz bottle) and he still ate 4-6 oz every 3-4 hours during the day.

Honestly, the amount of formula he takes in varries every day. Some days, he takes 6 oz at every bottle and some days he only take 4 oz each bottle. I am going to track it from here on out (starting tomorrow since today is almost over!) just to see how much he is taking in.

He sleeps anywhere between 7 and 10 hours a night. Sometimes more, sometimes less. That is more determined on how many naps he had that day. On the days he doesn't nap, he tends to sleep for 11 or 12 hours (last night he slept for 11 hours). That's part of the reason why his intake varies so much. If he naps a lot during the day, he normally doesn't eat as much. But when he's awake more often, he eats more often (because he's not sleeping through any feedings)... Does that make sense?

Anywoo's... I just came from my grandma's house where I got a huge lecture about how I was fed food at 3 months and it wasn't just cereal. Apparently we were fed straight from the table (mashed potatoes, mashed peas, mashed up meats) at 4 and 5 months old. I just kept repeating myself that I don't care how many 'votes' the family takes, he's mine and DH's child and until he has a need or desire (or until the ped tells me I have to) for foods. And I am certainly skipping the cereal stage since all it did was cause problems with constipation.

Thanks Ladies!

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Anywoo's... I just came from my grandma's house where I got a huge lecture about how I was fed food at 3 months and it wasn't just cereal. Apparently we were fed straight from the table (mashed potatoes, mashed peas, mashed up meats) at 4 and 5 months old. I just kept repeating myself that I don't care how many 'votes' the family takes, he's mine and DH's child and until he has a need or desire (or until the ped tells me I have to) for foods. And I am certainly skipping the cereal stage since all it did was cause problems with constipation.
    I don't understand the push for solids myself. People have been bugging me about "when are you gonna start solids" since my DD was born. I think the people are a little jealous of the relationship I have with my DD. My MIL just wants to be able to feed the baby herself, and she can't do that while my DD's exclusively breastfed. She also claims an all-liquid diet can't be food for anyone. Well, then why did God design it that way?

This is one of my biggest complaints about parenting - people get upset when you do things different than they raised their kids!

Quote Originally Posted by elliesmom
    people get upset when you do things different than they raised their kids!
    Mmmm, especially when it's your own mother. After all, you turned out OK, right? So if you do something differently, it must be an insult to how she raised you, right? It can definatley be a sensitive topic. But we should all be able to understand that it's possible to disagree with some things our parents did but not think any less of their parenting.