Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing to Sleep/short nursing times

Default Nursing to Sleep/short nursing times

Hi again ladies. Have 2 questions: 1) How long do you nurse for? My preemie is 15 weeks, 9 adjusted and she eats for 10 minutes on one breast (had forceful let down issue) MAX. Sometimes she falls asleep after 5 minutes, and I am doing everything except pouring cold water over her head to keep her up. She still wakes up every 2-3 hours to eat, sometimes 4, but is gaining weight and growing perfectly. Occasionally she wants the breast after 1 hour, 45minutes, but it's more because she wants to soothe (I've been using a pacifier, but it works 50% of the time).

2) I think #1 is related to the nursing to sleep pattern she's falling into. Anyone know a gentle way to break it or does it just stop on its own? I fear that my little one only associates eating with sleeping. She doesn't seem like she wants to eat until she is ready to fall asleep, and then I can only get her to nurse for the short time. I really want to put her down when she is awake but drowsy so she doesn't need me to fall asleep.

Is all this just normal with preemies and I need to giv her time? I am just trying to avoid starting a bad habit I won't be able to break later.

Thanks!

Default Re: Nursing to Sleep/short nursing times

It doesn't sound like just a preemie thing to me, my little one was (is, to an extent) the same way. For me at least, it has gotten much better with time. As for it being a bad habit, all the nurses and pediatricians I've talked to have told me it's fine to feed baby whenever baby wants. If she's gaining weight and growing, she's obviously getting what she needs, and that being the most important part, I wouldn't worry too much unless it's actually becoming unbearable.
    Jess,
    Proud mom to Soren Alexander P.
    Born May 25, 2008
    birth weight: 6 lbs. 12oz
    one week: 6 lbs. 13.5oz
    two weeks: 7lbs 5oz
    one month: 9lbs

My preemie son was a very sleepy boy and it took a while for him to wake up long enough to have a good nursing session and I had to stimulate him constantly that first month. He ended up falling asleep on me a lot and would just want to nurse and sleep around the clock the first few months. He grew out of it after about 3 months.

IMO your LO is still so young...she'll find her own way into a more regular schedule of sleep/wakeful/eat/play...I wouldn't be concerned about her pairing eating & sleeping at this age.

Is this your first babe?
    2005 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*foo View Post
    My preemie son was a very sleepy boy and it took a while for him to wake up long enough to have a good nursing session and I had to stimulate him constantly that first month. He ended up falling asleep on me a lot and would just want to nurse and sleep around the clock the first few months. He grew out of it after about 3 months.

I wouldn't worry about trying to establish a sleep routine yet. We let our LO fall asleep at the breast and then kangarooed him while we slept for the first few months. I figured it was much more important for him to get good nutrition and rest. He grew out of it and now falls asleep very well either by himself or without needing to be fed.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?