Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My friend needs help

Default My friend needs help

I got permission to post this here to see what you ladies think/suggest.

This is my friend's 3rd child. She nursed her son who is now 8 (I think) but I'm not sure how long she nursed for.

My friend's son is 6mo. He nurses every 2-3 hours. He also gets very diluted juice in a bottle 4 times a day and 3-4 jars of solids a day (he started solids at 4 months). He had a doctor's appointment today and is in the 50th percentile for weight and height. He was a little over 9 lbs when he was born and is now 15.5 lbs.

A nurse told my friend that if her baby was hungry (taking solids) after he nursed, she probably wasn't producing enough to satisfy him. Do you think this is accurate?

My friend would like to supplement with formula, but her son will not take it. She is only able to pump like .5 ounces at a time, which is why she is thinking of supplementing. Our doctor said her son could have 4 ounces of cow's milk a day and that goat's milk was not a good idea. Any suggestions for pumping or getting the baby to take formula... she has tried every thing she knows to do. She is going to try a sippy cup next. What do you think about the cow's milk suggestion?

Also, on top of all of this, her son is very fussy. This has been going on for a while, and my friend thinks it is due to her not producing enough.

I know this is a lot, but do you all have any suggestions? She told me that she wants to continue nursing, but she is concerned that her son is not getting enough to eat breastmilk wise. Our friends stopped nursing around the 3-4 month mark, and none of them seemed to have similar issues. I'm going to give her the number to a la leche league leader and see if she will go with me to a meeting (even though I feel dumb going since I'm not bfing any more).
    Last edited by britebow; August 9th, 2006 at 07:48 PM.

Default Re: My friend needs help

I have never had a great milk supply. My ds was a slower gainer from birth through 6 months. When he was 5 months old, his appetite increased. I work outside of the home 3 days a week and I pump. This is how I knew my supply was the same and it was his appetite that changed.

I started him on solids, and that really helped. Our doctor says he needs any formula as long as I nurse him at least 8 times a day. I have been using 2 ounces a day & mixing it with his cereal.

It sounds like everything is okay with your friend. She probably doesn't need to suppliment. She is nursing 2-3 hours and her sons weight gain looks good. How is his diaper output? Does he sleep through the night?

Sometimes his diapers from the night aren't very wet, even after night nursing. He doesn't sleep thru the night either.

Quote Originally Posted by britebow
    My friend's son is 6mo. He nurses every 2-3 hours. He also gets very diluted juice in a bottle 4 times a day and 3-4 jars of solids a day (he started solids at 4 months). He had a doctor's appointment today and is in the 50th percentile for weight and height. He was a little over 9 lbs when he was born and is now 15.5 lbs.

A nurse told my friend that if her baby was hungry (taking solids) after he nursed, she probably wasn't producing enough to satisfy him. Do you think this is accurate?
    No, I don't think it's accurate. I had a typo in my first response. Our doctor said that as long as baby is nursed a minimum of 8 times, he does NOT need formula.

As far as the diapers not being so wet first thing in the morning, I've noticed that as ds gets older, he seems to go more in spurts (not as often, but larger quantities). I usually wait 15 minutes after he wakes to change him. How many wet diapers your friends son gets in a day?

Two other things that can to mind, birth control and return of AF. Has your friend started onn birth control? If it's not the mini-pill, it can cause a drop in supply. Has AF recently returned? That can cause a *temporary* drop.

If she still wants to suppliment, maybe the baby would be more receptive to another brand of formula?

if the child is 8 months old it should be getting food after feedings. That seems normal to me.
    Is he reaching developmental milestones? This is a better indication of growth. How big is she, is she a small woman is her husband a small man. What about their families are they small people?????
    How is his output.
    The fussiness... is it after or during feedings???
    Is he very active... he may just need more calories.
    I dont know about the cows milk suggestion... do milk allergies run in her or her partners families. If not I might suggest trying plain yogurt first because it is easier to digest.
    Hope this helps

she could call her local lll leader there are a few things that she could do to up her milk supply. the best thing would be to get the baby to nurse more often. Pumping realy isn't a good way to tell how much milk your baby is getting they normaly are pretty good at nursing at that age.
    Breastmilk is the best food for baby. Solids have less of the good fats that baby needs to grow.
    heres a good chart that shows foods compaired to breastmilk
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html