Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can't I make enough milk???

Default Re: Why can't I make enough milk???

My DS had tongue tie too. It significantly affected my supply. Our story sounds much like yours. We had it clipped when he was 10 weeks old.
    Did the clipping help? Did your supply increase? I hope so. I am sorry that you had such a hard time too.

The other thing is, try to get some rest...I'm sure it's hard when you're stressed about this stuff...but rest is VERY important in maintaining that supply and in preventing other problems like blocked ducts. *hugs* hope the clipping helps!!
    You are right. Rest is important and can be elusive when worry is high. I will try to make a more conscious effort to rest. Thank you!

I am dealing with a similar situation as you. My baby is now 12 wks and I have been using the SNS and Lact-Aid plus pumping with a hospital grade pump when I can. Still my supply is really down from baby not doing things good from the beginning. I also am like you and had nursed two previous children a long time. This is heart breaking. I was wondering if you found a new LC who found the posterior tongue situation? The other did not detect this? I have seen three different consultants who said all was fine, but obviously, things are not fine here. I need to find the right person who can figure it out. Just curious if you were told all was fine and then found someone who found what the real problem was? I hope that are little ones will get back on track soon!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time! It really sucks.

2 LCs and ped said he was fine. I asked specifically about tongue-tie as early as day 2 and everyone said he was fine and latch looked fine even though my nipples were pinched and white when he would come off and were bleeding terribly. Long story short: It was both a mom and an IBCLC who I met in an online support group who suggested this may be our problem.

The link the mom gave me was this...

I called the doctor who authored the article and she helped me figure it out. She will clip him on Wed.

If you feel there is an issue, don't let anyone tell you different. Mommas are always right! A latch can look fine on the outside and not be fine on the inside. I hope that you can get things taken care of so that you can get on with enjoying your beautiful children!

Also, if this seems to be your situation, let me know and I can give you some more info, contacts. I am new to this, but will try to set it up so you can send me a PM. Good luck!
    2001 2004 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*umbribyz View Post
    Did the clipping help? Did your supply increase? I hope so. I am sorry that you had such a hard time too.
    My supply did improve and we stopped supplementing, although DS still didn't gain much weight. Once I went back to work, I had to pump a lot and my body just didn't respond to pumping as much as I would have liked. My supply slowly diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*umbribyz View Post
    I am so sorry that you are having a hard time! It really sucks.

2 LCs and ped said he was fine. I asked specifically about tongue-tie as early as day 2 and everyone said he was fine and latch looked fine even though my nipples were pinched and white when he would come off and were bleeding terribly. Long story short: It was both a mom and an IBCLC who I met in an online support group who suggested this may be our problem.

The link the mom gave me was this...

I called the doctor who authored the article and she helped me figure it out. She will clip him on Wed.

If you feel there is an issue, don't let anyone tell you different. Mommas are always right! A latch can look fine on the outside and not be fine on the inside. I hope that you can get things taken care of so that you can get on with enjoying your beautiful children!

Also, if this seems to be your situation, let me know and I can give you some more info, contacts. I am new to this, but will try to set it up so you can send me a PM. Good luck!
    I see you're on the East Coast. I wonder if you're taking your DC to the same doctor that we went to. Is she on Long Island?
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

Yes, she is on Long Island. We just got back. I am seeing some improvement already. I can sometimes feel his tongue uder my breast where I could not feel that before. He is able to latch deeper. Hopefully, this will help...
    2001 2004 2008

I'm glad things are looking better. I'm sure Dr. Coryllos told you, but sometimes it takes a while for them to relearn how to properly latch on. Hang in there!
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

Thank you for the encouragement! I really need it. This has been a long journey...
    2001 2004 2008

I would like to know your contacts. I am detrmined to get this guy ironed out. Thank you so much!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

Hi twinsarefun, I tried to PM you with the doctor's name and phone #, but it wouldn't let me. Her name is Dr. Coryllos and she is in NY. I don't know how much info I can post publicly, since this is a personal reference and not LLL. Just don't want to misrepresent... PM me and maybe I could just reply to you that way? I am new to this online forum thing and am still figuring out all the features.
    2001 2004 2008

I haven't been able to get my pm to work. It used to and with this new website format, it won't work and I cannot figure out how to change it. It says that it is turned off. Too bad I cannot figure it out. I can give you my email address but not sure if I am allowed to do that here? I will try and find the Drs. number and then will let you know if I can't. You said that someone you talked to online helped you determine that your baby had a problem. Who was that? Thanks so much!