Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can't I make enough milk???

Unhappy Why can't I make enough milk???

Hi Ladies! I have been reading lots on these forums and I think I came to the right place. I need some information and encouragement.

My LO and I have had a difficult time BF from the beginning. LO had a tight suck which was relieved by CST at days 4 and 11, but not before my supply was severely affected. I have been nursing on demand with breast compression, pumping (Lactina), and power pumping once a day. I am supplementing at the breast with the SNS. I am taking More Milk Special Blend (herbal galactagogue). I had my thyroid tested and it was negative. I had my prolactin tested and it was high according to my midwife (182).

I thought that with all of the stimulation (demand) that my supply would have increased more. When I pump I am only able to get 1/2 oz. each time. Each time we try to wean off the supplement his weight stagnates or decreases. He is 10 weeks old now. He is taking 12-14 oz. of supplement daily, which is EBM and formula. He was at 10 oz. daily until last week.

I am in contact with local LLL and am working with an IBCLC. Is there something else I should be doing? I am heart-broken because I want to EBF my LO. I was able to EBF my 2 other children for 17 months and over 2 1/2 years respectively. This is going to be our last baby and the thing I was looking forward to the most was nursing.

Could something still be wrong with his latch? I do have some concerns about his jaw, tongue and palate but I will post in section for baby issues. The IBCLC said his latch looked OK and ped said his smaller lower jaw shouldn't interfere with feeding. What else could it be? Are there more tests I should have to try and solve this mystery?

Please help..........Thanks!!!

Default Re: Why can't I make enough milk???

I can understand you're distressed...

I just have a few things I noticed, off the top - you don't mention how his diaper output is or was as that is the most indicative measure of your supply... what you pump is not the best indicator...

This resource may be helpful with regard to making sure he's getting enough.

As this one might be with regard to getting him off the formula supplements (assuming that is the ideal for you)
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for the quick response. The supplements were started b/c he was never able to make it past the green transitional poopies and he had urates in his diaper which showed he was getting dehydrated. When I decrease the supplement by 1 oz. per day, his dirty diaper count drops and his weight stagnates or drops. He still seems to wet enough though.

Thank you for the links to the helpful info!

How long did you only give your LO 10 oz for? I'm not encouraging that you let your baby lose weight but I am currently working with my pediatrician to get my LO off the bottle and formula supplements. I have decreased my supplement significantly in the past couple of days. We've been working on this for a week and initially her weight remained the same. Between Monday and today (Thursday) she lost 2 oz. The doctor was not concerned. He told me to look at the baby more than the weight. He expected that she may lose a little bit of weight initially. He says that what she loses is stuff from the formula in her system that she doesn't need. This is a very well respected doctor-especially on the topic of breast feeding. Of course he will probably start to worry if she continues to lose weight. This is why I ask how long you decreased the supplement for. Maybe if you keep your boy at the 10 oz and his weight plateaus, you can wait it out and see if your supply catches up and he starts to gain? I would only do this with the support of a doctor. Mine is now seeing my LO every week to evaluate her weight but mainly the baby. Good luck!

Hi,

We worked up to 10 oz. at the beginning. That is where we finally had appropriate diaper output and weight gain. He stayed on that from 2 weeks old to just about 9 weeks old. (Actually supplement was formula for 1st week then donor BM for 6 weeks and now formula for this past week.) I increased it b/c he seemed hungry still. I know babies like to suck and do offer him the breast again if SNS is empty (he doesn't empty it everytime). Sometimes he will take it and sometimes he seems like he wants more. I have been working with the IBCLC to wean him. She gave me a Medela scale. Each time we decrease he stays the same weight for 4 days and then drops. His dirty diapers space out too, but maybe not such an issue b/c he's older?? He usually has one big dirty diaper per day, but goes to every other day when supp dropped. Usually bigger blow-out though. He still seems to wet fine. LC expressed concern over the weight and said to go back up w/ supp when he started to lose. Maybe we need to be more patient. I will talk to peds office again also. I appreciate your help and support!

Sorry, I did not say that weight loss was 1/2 oz. on the 4th or 5th day after decreasing supp.

It sounds like his output is good. Maybe work back down to 10 oz and see how he does at 10 oz for a while. Supplements have been a real supply killer for me, so trying to cut down on them should challenge your body to make more milk if you compensate by nursing more. Keep us posted

I think we have found at least part of the solution. My DS has a posterior tongue-tie and lip-tie. This explains why he is not getting enough or telling me to make more even with the SNS. He will have them taken care of this week. Then we will have to relearn how to BF. Hopefully my supply will increase once he can suck properly...Thanks for the support! It helped me to be able to see beyond my misery and find a solution.

My DS had tongue tie too. It significantly affected my supply. Our story sounds much like yours. We had it clipped when he was 10 weeks old.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

The other thing is, try to get some rest...I'm sure it's hard when you're stressed about this stuff...but rest is VERY important in maintaining that supply and in preventing other problems like blocked ducts. *hugs* hope the clipping helps!!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa