Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Milk Supply

Default Low Milk Supply

Over the weekend I ended up with Mastitis and my milk supply has really decreased. I have been pumping every 2 hours as it hurts to nurse and I am getting only about 2 oz in all. Generally when I pump I am getting around 3 to 4 oz of breast milk. I know that stress can be a factor in low milk supply and even illness but is there a way to recoup from that and get my milk supply back up. I am desperate and really need to get that going again. I even had to dip into my reserves to feed my son because I was not getting enough milk to feed him from a pumping session.

Thank you.

Default Re: Low Milk Supply

If you can at all stand to get him back to the breast, even if it hurts a little, this would be the best thing to do. A nursing baby is much more effective at getting the milk out (and therefore signalling to produce more) than the pump is. Otherwise, drink lots of fluid and avoid supplementing as much as possible (even with your own breastmilk). Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    If you can at all stand to get him back to the breast, even if it hurts a little, this would be the best thing to do. A nursing baby is much more effective at getting the milk out (and therefore signalling to produce more) than the pump is. Otherwise, drink lots of fluid and avoid supplementing as much as possible (even with your own breastmilk). Good luck!!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Have you seen your health care provider about the mastitis? If so, did he or she prescribe an antibiotic? What I'm wondering is how you are treating the mastitis and whether you are noticing any improvement.

With a plugged duct, frequent nursing, starting the affected side, is the most effective way to remove the plug.

With a breast infection, if you have a fever for more than 24 hrs, LLL recommends seeing a health care provider. Frequent nursing is also important.

Oh, I forgot to ask--how old is your baby? And are you solely breastfeeding or also offering your milk in a bottle (I mean before the mastitis started) or formula in a bottle?

Please keep us posted.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader