Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Horrible realization-block feeding

Default Horrible realization-block feeding

I feel like a complete idiot!!! I never knew what block feeding was because I never read about it and I didn't overproduce after the first few months -everything was fine, now my production is really low (as I've lamented on here several times) and I struggle everyday to keep up production.

Anyway I think I block feed! LO nurses one one side and then the other 3 hours later! He's a constant snacker, but has this decreased my production to the point I'm at now? Is this why he still wakes up 3x a night at 11.5 months?

If I did this to myself and LO I'm gonna be sooo pissed!!!!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Default Re: Horrible realization-block feeding

I don't know the answer to your question, but I suppose I inadvertently 'block fed' also. Both my kids only nursed on one side, my dd nursed for 14 mo, and ds nursed for almost 22 mo, and we never had a problem. Most of my friends that bf also did one sided nursing.

I've only ever nursed from one side per session. My DD still wakes 1-2x's per night. I don't think nursing from just one side is the cause because she nurses until she's full. I just think some LOs STTN and others don't for no particular reason and of no fault of our own.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Well, thats not exactly block-feeding, but I guess it could qualify. Its GOOD to nurse one side per session and offer the other side if your child still seems hungry. The reason we don't do the "10 minutes on each side" nursing that our Mothers used to do is because that would usually miss the rich hind-milk. So we're encouraged to nurse on one side each session so the baby empties the breast.

Block-feeding is useful when we have too much milk, you keep going back to the same breast until its empty. For some Moms with a huge supply this can be a 6 hour block of using the same breast. You start with 2 hour blocks and work your way up as needed.

If Maxwell fully nursed/emptied the left breast and he indicated he was hungry again one to two hours later, you would put him on the right breast. If you put him back on the left, that would be block-feeding.

And btw,my son didn't STTN until 16 months. I believe its more developmental than hunger.

We struggled with low-supply too, what have you tried so far? And what makes you think you're not producing enough?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Rather than focusing on what you may or may not have done wrong. Focus instead on boosting your current supply. If he's a constant snacker try offering the other side sooner and see if that helps him fill up. I'm sure others have more suggestions on how to boost supply. With all my babies I have nursed on one side, burped etc, and then offered that side again. After the 2nd "stint" on that side I'd offer my other side. Some babies like my first always wanted that 2nd side, others like my 4th usually are satisfied with the 2 go-rounds on my first side.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    Well, thats not exactly block-feeding, but I guess it could qualify. Its GOOD to nurse one side per session and offer the other side if your child still seems hungry. The reason we don't do the "10 minutes on each side" nursing that our Mothers used to do is because that would usually miss the rich hind-milk. So we're encouraged to nurse on one side each session so the baby empties the breast.

Block-feeding is useful when we have too much milk, you keep going back to the same breast until its empty. For some Moms with a huge supply this can be a 6 hour block of using the same breast. You start with 2 hour blocks and work your way up as needed.

If Maxwell fully nursed/emptied the left breast and he indicated he was hungry again one to two hours later, you would put him on the right breast. If you put him back on the left, that would be block-feeding.

And btw,my son didn't STTN until 16 months. I believe its more developmental than hunger.

We struggled with low-supply too, what have you tried so far? And what makes you think you're not producing enough?
    Thanks everyone! Okay, so I guess we are doing what is normal. To answer Lyn's question, I think my supply took a dip at 9 months, it was mainly my pumping output (I pump 3x per day) but also the feeling of being empty sooner than before. At first I thought I would be seeing AF, but nothing as of yet. I worked with a lot of advice I got here and do the Mother's Milk, oatmeal, visulation, relaxation, compressions, etc.

Now what I have done is pump enough for 2 bottles at DCP and the third time he has water or juice and then I nurse right away when I pick him up. It seems to be working fine (ends up with 2 bottles and about 4 nursing sessions per week day and he's just about 1 year old).

Thanks for the feedback and reassurance LLLadies!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Have you tried fenugreek? It worked really well for me and fast too!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

mama!

And I know you heard me mention it this weekend...but alfalfa! (I don't know how to make a horse whinny sound)
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?