Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night weaning affect length of bf'ing?

Question Night weaning affect length of bf'ing?

My dd is 13 months old and is a nursing champ! I just started to wean her from her night feedings (she sleeps with us and is in the 95th % for weight) with Jay Gordon's method of night weaning.

Has anyone used Gordon's night weaning method? Has anyone who night weaned seen an affect to how long you were able to bf as a whole? In other words, will my DD wean from nursing sooner if I weaned her only from nighttime feedings?

Hope this makes sense,
    carla

Default Re: Night weaning affect length of bf'ing?

I haven't used the method you describe, but my daughter was night-weaned from a young age (<12 months). She's still having two feeds a day at 25 months.

The results of night-weaning on the rest of weaning are likely to be highly variable. Each child & situation is really so different.
    There is a great chapter in Mothering Your Nursing Toddler called "Getting Enough Rest". Maybe you could check that out from your local LLL Group or public library? There are so many reasons why little ones wake up at night.
    What are your goals for night-weaning and weaning overall?

Mary

I don't know anything about night weaning but did want to share that my DD started sleeping through the night at 2 mths (in her crib) and almost never woke up to nurse. She is now 23 mths and has been sleeping with me since she climbed out of her crib at 16 mths. She wakes up maybe once a week to nurse in the middle of the night. I work FT, but nurse her as often as she wants when I am home with her (6 - 8 times a day on the weekends). My point is that she was never a big night nurser and that has not seemed to have any effect on the length of BFing for her. She is nursing at almost 2 and still going strong. Not sure if this helps. Maybe it is different for those who have always been night nursers?

Hi,
    We just finished night weaning dd at almost 20 months (at least I think we did . . . you know how it is with bf, two steps forward one step back). We didn't exactly use the Gordon method, instead tried the "sun is up, milky time, sun is down, sleeping time" thing. It worked OK . . . she still protested (in our arms) but no more than 5-10 minutes at a stretch, and hardly at all if dh was the one on duty. Anyway, I don't notice that she has decreased her daytime nursing, in fact quite the opposite, as she marches over to me several times a day to announce "Sun up! Milky time!!" and knows I can't really argue with that given the logic we are trying to promote.
    Hope things are going well with your nightweaning strategy!

I'll just share my two experiences with night weaning and whether or not it affected length of nursing. With my oldest, I decided I needed to night wean her when she was about 18 months and I was newly pregnant with #2. We just told her that "nursie" would go night-night, but that she could have it when the sun came up. After just a couple nights, she accepted the new arrangement fairly happily. She then proceeded to nurse until she was 3 1/2, and even then, she would have gone on longer if I hadn't made a deal with her to stop at that point. With the next one, I night weaned him at about the same age, and then when I got pregnant again a few months later, he lost interest in nursing altogether and weaned himself completely just before his second birthday. In short, I don't think that weaning at night had much to do with their overall interest in nursing. I hope your experience goes well!

Hi,

This is my first post to this forum, and I found the thread I was looking for! I have never heard of Jay Gordon, but will go research after I post here. I have been having a difficult time with night nursing my almost 19 month old daughter (the problems started months ago), but do not want night weaning to encourage overall weaning. In fact, I would be thrilled if I could just get her to nurse 3-5 times a night rather than the current average, which is about 12 wakings per night. 20 on a bad, and not rare, night! When this first started happening, I couldn't help but think "I must be doing something wrong!".

I am committed to nursing my daughter, and believe in child-led weaning. Even when we have a rough night (20 wakings or so), I wake up feeling like I did the right thing by nursing her. And, somehow, I do feel like I am adequately rested (although, I think in all truth, I am just getting used to being sleep deprived!). I love sleeping next to my daughter, and don't want that to change.

The problem is that when I wake up during the night for, say, the 7th time, I get very angry!! Like I said, when I wake up in the morning, all is sunshine and forgiven. But I think it's possible that she picks up on my anger (I don't yell at her, but I get huffy), and I so badly don't want that to happen.

I have tried the "nummies are sleeping" thing several times (maybe I haven't tried long enough?), but she totally doesn't go for it. She is an avid nurser, plain and simple, and I need help getting more sleep especially now that I am expecting #2!!.

Thanks,
    Dawn

I have an 18 month old, she has been going to Gram's and with her Aunt since 12 months (5 days a week) while I am at work full time, during which she is daytime weaned. Both Gram and her Aunt are able to rock her to sleep, sometimes they can just lay down with her and she will drift off only after a few minutes of rocking.

However, for me she mostly nurses to sleep and I am not that good at figuring out any other way to get her to sleep. I have tried rocking her which does not work for me at all (I have tried hard too). I have on a few occassions sucessfully got her to sleep by messaging her feet with lotion after a bath and swaddling her in a blanket. I have on occassion almost got her to sleep by introducing "Freddy" a stuffed animal, she hugs it and looks like she is soothing to sleep, but, then starts to whine for boobie. I am scared she will soon be able to ask for nursing and might say mommy boobie in front of strangers. She knows she can have what she wants from me and won't allow anything less ie: rocking, special blankets, teddy's etc, won't work at all for me. I then wonder, will I ever be able to get this sorted out, or well I know I will someday, but, you do get the sense that your failing somehow I must say I love the bond and the closeness and I love her so so much, I enjoyed nursing her and will miss it, so I might have to be weaned too as there is nothing like snuggling with your baby, she is wonderful. Any ideas though as I know I should be making all possible efforts to wean her completely as she is getting older now, I don't believe in crying to sleep.

Dr. Jay Gordon's method:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

And lots of info about weaning:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/index.html

Good luck!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on