Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Veramyst ok when BF'ing?

Default Veramyst ok when BF'ing?

is Veramyst ok to use when BF'ing? my dr's office couldn't tell me for sure, other than "information had not been established yet". it's a nasal spray for allergies

Default Re: Veramyst ok when BF'ing?

According to the lactmed site this is the info it gives - you can also call a LLL leader to see if it's in their edition of Hales book (or if they have the newest edition) and/or run it by your childs pedi if need be but since it is a relatively newer med, they probably won't have much info for you either. You can also check Dr Hales forums as well to see if it's been posted there.

Last edited by @llli*number3; September 18th, 2008 at 10:53 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

where is dr. hale's forum?

No. Its a corticosteroid and will be passed on to the baby through your milk.
    Here's the packet insert that the pharmacy goes by. See page 7 subtopic nursing. I wouldn't use it or advice it if your nursing. Ask your MD if there is a non-steroid medication you can take.

http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_veramyst.pdf

I also cross refercenced it for you looking under the active ingredient and it also showed not to take it because it excretes in the milk. Fluticasone furoate.

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/lexi...uticasone.html

Unfortuantely Veramyst is a new brand so all of the Drug representatives are getting the doctors to write for them. Most MDs will unless the patient states they don't want a steroid or if its a case where they have to be on it. PM me. Depending on what's the MD is treating I can give you some suggestions to bring back to him.

I'm Tauni
    Wife to DH Jack
    Mother of 3
    Rosie 10//01 Nursed 2 months
    Deante 3//07 Nursed 1 months
    Miya 4/17/08 Still nursing

I M-F and on the weekend.

Just to add a little something for what it's worth - virtually all medication, (anything we take into our bodies really) is/can be excreted into the milk. This is a medication that is given to children... (but I don't know the age of the OP's child) and it's not contraindicated for nursing mothers. They just haven't tested it on nursing moms (as with most medications) - but Dr Hale may have some testing trials with data-

Having said that - *I'd* probably find an alternative to it simply because most of the nasal sprays have to be used daily for optimal results, and I don't like things that have the be taken daily.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.