Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply decreasing...

Unhappy Supply decreasing...

This week I've noticed a major change in my supply. I'm noticing that each day my supply is dropping by half an oz. Monday when I pumped I got a total of 5oz in the morning, then 4 oz @ lunch & 3 oz @ 4pm. Luckly this was more than enough for my little boy on tuesday for the 3oz bottle wasn't even touch. Tuesday I was able to pump 4.5oz in the morning, 4 oz @ lunch, & 3.5 oz @ 4pm. Yesterday I only pumped 4oz in the morning, just below 4 oz @ lunch, then 3.5 oz @ 4pm. This morning I got just below 4oz.

Before I was ranging 7oz in the morning, 5 oz @ lunch & 4 oz @ 4pm.

I'm starting to worry that if this trend keeps up I'm not going to be able to produce enough milk for my 5 1/2 month LO while I'm @ work...

He hasn't been wanting me as soon as I return home either, he's been eating every 4 hrs instead of 3 according to grandma. We've been giving him cearel with 1oz of breast milk that I can express for him around 9pm & then he falls asleep on my breast in bed.

I'm really not sure what's going on. I haven't had the mother's milk tea in 2 weeks... could it have been helping that much??

I'm going to stop tonight & pick it up, if the store has gotten it in.

I know my thoughts are rambling here and I'm sorry I'm just worried...
    due 5/31/2010 - born 3/31/2008

Default Re: Supply decreasing...

First of all, cheer up!! I know that I have lower outputs when I am worried 24/7 about my supply. Easier said than done, trust me, i know. I have tried i think just about everything to increase my supply, so I understand your worries!

Let's start with, besides the mothers milk tea, what other changes? are you menstrating? Stressed out? Diet/fluids change?

In addition to those questions above - I can only add this link that you might find helpful
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Unhappy Re: Supply decreasing...

Thank you for replying so quickly!

To cover LO's diapers... He's diaper usually needs changed when I get home @ 6, then again before his bath @ 9, & again in the morning before going to grandma's. I'm not sure how often he has a peed diaper @ grandma's for he doesn't keep record for me.

I don't think I'm stressed out over anything... I mean I've been feeling a bit paranoid & then depressed this week... could it be hormones??? I haven't menstrated & I fear this won't happen on it's own cause I have PCOS & had to always go on provera to have a cycle... We had to use provera & clomid to get our LO.

I noticed that I have been more tired than normal & have been trying to nap when possible & get to bed before 10:30. Our little one sleeps through the night & I wake him between 5&6 so that I can feed him before he goes to grandma's for the day. Last night was the first that he woke up @ 2am in a long time.

I go to my Dr on Monday for my annual... & LO goes for his 6 month check up on 10-2. We haven't been using protection but due to my past firtility issues, I doubt I am preganat.

Well I quickly ate my lunch & went down to pump. I used the remainder of my lunch to pump... after a half hour I got just over 4 oz. So I'm happy with this but... I can't always pump for a half hour....

I read that water was important & that oatmeal helps with the supply so to make sure I get plenty of both, this is what I've been doing:

I eat an oat & honey gernola bar on my way to work, then I have a glass of water & two packets of the instant oatmeal. I then get another glass of water & pump. I get another glass of water after I pump. I have a glass of water with lunch (take my prenatal vitamns & calcium), then another glass to pump with, then another glass after pumping. Once 4pm comes I get another glass of water & go pump. By the time I'm down with cleaning up, it's time to head home.

Oh forgot to mention that I haven't had much of an appetite lately... but I didn't think it was related.

IIRC someone somewhere said something about the instant not being as 'sueful" for supply issue as the real stuff... worth looking into
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

OK I took your advise & got some regualr old fashioned oats... I'm giving them a try this morning... But I'm going to have to find something to give them some flavor... I remember a thread about that... I'll have to try & find it again...

Oh LO didn't eat off me till after his cereal last night. He wouldn't take more than a 20 minute nap for DH & when I got home & put him to the breast he feel right to sleep. I let him sleep for 2 hours & woke him @ 8pm so we could bathe him & feed him. We then went to bed @ 10pm & he was back up @ 1am screaming. I brought him to bed & he was on me what seemed the rest of the night until he went to grandma's @ 6am.

I really wanted to nurse as long as I can but maybe it's time to offer baby food in addition to the breast milk. I know that breastmilk or formula is best until a year. But he doesn't handle formula well... so maybe Grandma could offer some baby food along with what breast milk I make... He'll be 6 months @ the end of the month.

I only have a few minutes, because like you, i pump at lunch, eat and check the LLLI boards!

1. i have noticed a drop in supply when i do not eat as much. even when i am not hungry, i still eat. and i have noticed that when i eat a high protein count in a day, i get good results normally. i keep bumble bee tuna and chicken salad packs at my desk. also cottage cheese and eggs are a great source of protein, as well as string cheese.

2. are you taking any medications?

3. i also noticed that at night when i feed her, i pump out afterwards, and that seems to help. i also bfeed her whenever possible. if i am with her, she gets me, if not with me then the bottle!

You might be on to something here. I have a tuna & cottage chesse sandwich (oatmeal bread) for lunch yesterday & a meaty stromboli for dinner last night. I was able to get 5oz this morning & 4oz @ lunch... I'll try to up the protein over the weekend as well as strickly nurse my LO. Hopefully on monday I'll see an increase in the output... I don't pump @ all while I'm around my LO... I have to wait for him to nap, which he hasn't been doing much of lately, so that only leaves @ night after he goes to bed & by then I'm exhausted to... We uaually fall asleep nursing in bed together

I'll let you all know what I find on Monday.