Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I never feel empty...

Default I never feel empty...

What gives LLLadies? I never feel empty. After I nurse Joey, I feel less full but never feel empty. I don't pump a whole lot...maybe 1-2x a week now. I am just so uncomfortable. I sleep with a towel underneath me and just let the excess drain off. Joey is also STTN and I am in dire pain when she finally wants to nurse. She nursed last night at 930 and then didn't want to nurse again until 430am. She sleeps right next to me and I am always available...but she doesn't ever wake to nurse.

It HURTS. Plus, she has a hard time latching on when I am so full. On top of that...I feel like we're on our way to a f/hindmilk imbalance. Her poops are dark yellow on their way to green. I block feed for several hours so that I can make sure she gets some hindmilk at times. She's so chubby, I know there are no weight gain issues!

Helllp? Ideas?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Default Re: I never feel empty...

How long are your blocks?

I found that 4 hours wasn't enough and had to move to 8 hours and then finally up to 12 and it made all the difference in the world.

By the way, so jealous that you get that much sleep in a row.

bump
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Yeah, I'm still sitting here feeling full. I block fed for 6 hours and now my left breast is achy and warm. I can't find any signs of plugged ducts...but it doesn't feel very good. I'm taking some ibuprofen and heading to bed.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Fast weight gain is a "symptom" of a lot of foremilk and/or OALD.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    What gives LLLadies? I never feel empty. After I nurse Joey, I feel less full but never feel empty. I don't pump a whole lot...maybe 1-2x a week now. I am just so uncomfortable. I sleep with a towel underneath me and just let the excess drain off. Joey is also STTN and I am in dire pain when she finally wants to nurse. She nursed last night at 930 and then didn't want to nurse again until 430am. She sleeps right next to me and I am always available...but she doesn't ever wake to nurse.

It HURTS. Plus, she has a hard time latching on when I am so full. On top of that...I feel like we're on our way to a f/hindmilk imbalance. Her poops are dark yellow on their way to green. I block feed for several hours so that I can make sure she gets some hindmilk at times. She's so chubby, I know there are no weight gain issues!

Helllp? Ideas?
    Have you considered waking Joey to nurse during the night? It might help with the pain. Breastfeeding is a two-way relationship, so if you *need* your baby to nurse because you are in pain, I believe it is okay for you to ask her to help you.

Perhaps using cabbage leaves (crush a green cabbage leaf, then open it back up and put on your breast inside your bra until it is no longer cool and soothing) could help, especially at night?
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLMarianne View Post
    Have you considered waking Joey to nurse during the night? It might help with the pain. Breastfeeding is a two-way relationship, so if you *need* your baby to nurse because you are in pain, I believe it is okay for you to ask her to help you.

Perhaps using cabbage leaves (crush a green cabbage leaf, then open it back up and put on your breast inside your bra until it is no longer cool and soothing) could help, especially at night?
    I try to wake her to nurse. I lay right next to her and don't even wear a bra. I do leak everywhere, so that helps relieve some of the pressure. She literally will not wake up. If I want her to wake up, I'd have to get out of bed, strip her down and change her diaper, and then she gets really angry with me

So I've just been getting up in the morning and pumping just once a day. I use the milk to make momsicles. My little boy loves them. If I pump just 1x in the morning, then I don't feel overly full the rest of the day. It actually helps. Pumping is easy...I just don't like all the work required (washing the parts, getting set up, etc). Even after she's nursed in the morning, I can still pump 6-8ozs. If she hasn't nursed yet, I pump 10-12 ozs.

I digress...I guess I shouldn't complain that I get such good sleep,

**Leslie**

Mama to:

the title of your thread is just wrong, leslie! how can i not comment........
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pigpen777 View Post
    the title of your thread is just wrong, leslie! how can i not comment........
    Yeah, but its not posted in that forum.

**Leslie**

Mama to:

LLLadies!

Leslie, I was thinking, if you're pumping that much you're telling your body to make that much. Could you just pump enough to relieve the engorgement but not to the point of emptying your breasts?

Have you tried hand-expressing instead of using the pump. Less fuss with cleaning
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)