Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wake to feed?

Default Wake to feed?

If our boy sleeps past three hours during a nap or during the night, should we wake him to feed? At what age should we let him sleep?

Thanks!

Default Re: Wake to feed?

Hi there!
    How old is your baby?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen
    Hi there!
    How old is your baby?

Jen
    From what I got in another post he's 14 days old.

Correct. He's 14 days old.

I wouldn't except during the day, but that's just me. Our goal is to get them to sleep through the night so why disturb that?

If you are trying to establish a feeding schedule this early on, I would wake him every three hours during the day. At night, let him go as long as he can. At 14 days old, he will be sleeping a lot. It's up to you and also your breasts! If they are becoming engorged (which I am sure they are at this point!) wake him to feed.

You are kind of choosing whether to be a feed on demand Mom or a schedule feeding Mom by the answer to this question.

Happy nursing! Oh, and try the green cabbage leaves for engorged breasts - it really works!

IMO even if you are planning on being a scheduling mother, you are setting yourself up for huge dissapointment if you begin trying to schedule anything this soon. If your baby sleeps to the point of engorgment, you can always pump. When at 4 months, I was concerned because my large(17lbs) baby was still sleeping about 18 hrs a day, I was told by a pediactric nurse that anything up to 22 hrs a day was acceptable and to quit looking a gift horse in the mouth.

If your child is that hungry he will wake and eat. And at some point, if you co-sleep you will even master the art of "sleep eating". That's where your baby roots around while still sleeping and the name of the game is to get the breast into mouth before eyes open or crying starts. If you do, than doesn't count as "waking" to eat. I wouldn't wake a 14 day old to eat. Though I might to play with him. LOL!

Okay! At 14 days he is (obviously) still VERY young and your breastfeeding relationship is still getting established. How many times a day is your baby eating?

LLL's The Breastfeeding Answer Book (1997 ed., page 60) says: "If the baby is nursing less than eight to ten times every twenty-four hours, the mother will need to wake and stimulate her baby to nurse more. Suggest she attempt to wake the baby when he shows signs of being in a light sleep, rather than a deep sleep."

In addition to counting the number of nursing sessions per day, it's important to watch baby's diapers to make sure that he's getting enough to eat. Baby should be having at least 5-6 wet (disposable) diapers per day and 2-5 bowel movements, and should be gaining weight over time.

If your child is that hungry he will wake and eat.
    This is not necessarily true with newborns. Newborns have immature systems and a drop in blood sugar can make them very sleepy. Sometimes a newborn who is not getting enough to eat can be very difficult to wake and feed.

HTH!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

He sleeps a lot during the day - but he wakes up about every 1 1/2 - 3 hours (depending) to eat during the day. We set an alarm for 3 hours at night, but most of the time he wakes up around 2-2 1/2 hours. We were wondering if he sleeps for 4 hours once in a while if that is ok, or should we make sure he eats at the 3 hour mark if he doesn't wake up on his own (at night)?

my dd is now 12 weeks old...but from birth up until about 8 weeks old, i woke her up every 2 1/2 to 3 hours to feed her. i didn't actually have to wake her up. i picked her up from her bassinet and put her in bed with me. she nursed with her eyes closed and unlatched when she was done. now that she's 12 weeks old, i let her sleep through the night until she wakes up on her onw for a feeding (usually after 6-7 hours of sleep).