Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 week old spitting up like crazy

Default 4 week old spitting up like crazy

We seem to have got the whole nursing thing down, but after he finishes he spits up what seems like every thing he just ate!! It seems like dumping a cup of milk out. And he spits up a bunch until the next time he eats and then it starts all over again. This has happened the last 3 days. He seems happy in between feedings, but I am worried he is not getting enough milk. How much spit up is normal? and should it be the consistency of breast milk? When he has a lot, it is. But sometimes it is really thick. In general he is such a happy baby and I feel like he wouldn't complain if he was starving...I know that seems weird. He also poos alot. maybe this is good. I just want to know if its normal. I have huge boobs and it seems like my milk comes out pretty fast. So maybe he is just getting too much? is that possible?

Default Re: 4 week old spitting up like crazy

It's probably nothing to worry about. My DD spits up all the time and always has. She doesn't have reflux or anything. Our pediatrician says that it's a laundry problem not a medical problem. She's 5.5 months and 16 lbs, so she's definitely been getting enough milk Hope that helps to make you feel better.

i agree. if your child seems happy and healthy then i wouldnt worry. mention it to your ped.

I think your guess that your milk is coming out too fast and he's getting too much may be correct. My DD (6 weeks) also spits up a lot, but mostly when she nurses on the right. I know that my flow is much faster on the right than the left. Also the spit up does range from a little bit that is fairly thick to a lot that is thinner.

I agree with the other posters that its nothing to worry about if your lo is happy and gaining weight. Just be prepared to do a lot of outfit changes and laundry