Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried #2 might be on the way too soon

Default Worried #2 might be on the way too soon

I'm panicking ladies. My LO is 8 months old now. I wasn't planning on having #2 for at least another couple of years. AFV hasn't returned as of yet. I cosleep with my baby, nurse on demand, he barely eats any solids, I wouldn't think that I would even be fertile yet! Still I have taken precautions anyway, because like I said, I need more time before having my next baby. About a week ago, I started to feel like AFV might be returning. I was feeling a little crampy, bloated, etc...But as of today, nothing has happened, except, I think I feel like I did when I first found out I was pregnant with DS. I'm worried. I don't feel ready yet. Also, I am worried I that I won't be able to keep nursing DS for as long as I wanted to now. What if my milk dries up too much? Also, does anyone know how soon after giving birth to one baby it is considered more on the safe side to get pregnant with the next? I think I remember hearing once that they say you should wait at least a year? I would hate to be messing everything up for both children (potentially).
    First time mommy to *Sidney Patrick*! 1/13/08
    So lucky to be a SAHM for now
    Married to my DH *Matt*
    *~Makes me soooo happy to be alive~*

Default Re: Worried #2 might be on the way too soon

You might not be... Its normal to feel like that if you periods might be returning. I felt that way when I first found out I was pregnant as well.. but I also feel that way every month when AF shows up. Do you think you have ovulated? ( had lots of clear stretchy type cervical mucus?)
    Nursing is not always good birth control. I didn't co sleep but I did nurse on demand and my dd never had formula.. I got my peroid back 5 weeks post partum... and I still get one every month. dd is 15 months old and still breastfeeding.
    Can you take a test?
    I think they say optimal spacing between children ( for a woman's body) is at least 12 months apart but TONS of woman have children MUCH MUCH closer together with no problems whatsoever. I wouldn't worry to much. Lots of woman nurse all through pregnancies with no milk issues either. GL!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I have had false alarms with AF several times since DD was born, starting around 6 months I believe. Still no sign of her and I'm pretty darn sure I'm not pg... so it could be your body just "revving up" for the big show, KWIM?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

AF symptoms feel like this for me each month. Mine are not regular yet, and I can get these symptoms for weeks (yes, the longest I went was over three weeks with these symptoms) before AF finally arrived. Doctor said it was normal for a bf'ing woman. The hormones are trying to win each other over before deciding whether your body will have AF or not.

But, if you are preggo, then that's what is meant to be! DD was 7 months when I got preggo with DS and I was terrified at first, but it was a blessing.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Don't panic. It is always very confusing not knowing whether your fertility has returned or not. Those symptoms could easily just be signs that your body is "thinking" about ovulating. It seems like frequently our bodies don't go from infertile to fertile like a light switch being turned on. Rather it's a more gradual process particularly if you are still nursing frequently. For example after my first baby I had spotting at 11 months and 13 months ppd with no ovulation. Then when I did see a lot of mucus which I thought might be ovulation I proceeded to get my first period a couple of days later rather than 2 weeks after that.

I'm not sure about an optimum spacing of babies for a women's body. It probably depends a lot on your health, how the delivery of your first baby went, and other factors. If you are concerned about conceiving just yet you may want to start charting so you'll know for sure when your fertility does return. I know a lot of gals here use fertility friend which is an online resource. If you post in the fertility folder they could point you in the right direction.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

i had the same symptoms for a few months before af arrived and thought the same exact thing, sounds like its prolly just af on the way. GL
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

I've met a fair amount of people like my sister and I that are 13-15 months apart in age. We turned out ok...and our mom was even in her 40s at the time.

I went through that feeling from between 8-10 months when Af returned. If youa re pg, then it's meant to be and I am sure you will be as wonderful to two as you are one!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Hello ladies. I just wanted to thank you all for your posts, ( a little late!) because my computer crashed shortly after I wrote this post. Luckily it was just a false alarm *phew*! AF wasn't even returning, just the hormonal fluctuations that you spoke of. Thank you all so much!
    First time mommy to *Sidney Patrick*! 1/13/08
    So lucky to be a SAHM for now
    Married to my DH *Matt*
    *~Makes me soooo happy to be alive~*