Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If mom gets vaccines will it affect milk/baby?

Default If mom gets vaccines will it affect milk/baby?

I am starting some work at a hospital and I need to get a TB test and some vaccines I'm due for. DtP and Hep A...

Anyone know if there are any complications given that I'm nursing? Will it affect my supply or baby?

TIA

Default Re: If mom gets vaccines will it affect milk/baby?

I don't know about those, but I got a tetanus shot while nursing and I was told it's OK. You could call motherisk and ask: http:www.motherisk.org has the phone numbers.

There is info here.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Mr. BM, Dr. Jack Newman (http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html), is busting BM-myths. One is...

"8. Mothers who receive immunizations (tetanus, rubella, hepatitis B, hepatitis A, etc.) should stop breastfeeding for 24 hours (3 days, 2 weeks). Not true! Why should they? There is no risk for the baby, and he may even benefit. The rare exception is the baby who has an immune deficiency. In that case the mother should not receive an immunization with a weakened live virus (e.g. oral, but not injectable polio, or measles, mumps, rubella) even if the baby is being fed artificially."