Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaning Dilemma - Timeline - Cold Turkey and OS

Default Weaning Dilemma - Timeline - Cold Turkey and OS

I have a weaning dilemma. As of the first of the year I will have some obligations to fufill that will make it impossible to nurse or pump for up to six hours at a time. My DH would also like to not have little one nursing at Christmas time. Truthfully, I would like to have LO not nursing at 10 months, which will be just before Christmas. I think I can handle LO on formula for only two months. I am not sure when to start the process of weaning though. I thought maybe at 8 months?

I have had issues with OS (under control now), and generally LO only nurses one side a session. At bedtime he has a bottle of EBM and I pump to rotate supply. I think I have between 100-160 ounces in deep freeze of EBM. Truthfylly, if I could pull it off, I would go cold turkey when he is ten months. I know it is not recommended, but that way he would get only breastmilk for that long, and have some frozen EBM and only a little formula. I can't see how this would be any different than what I dealt with when my milk came in after having my baby and let my milk dry up. My breasts were huge and uncomfortable for only three days. (I ended up relactating at 3 weeks old)

Anyway, if I do start a gradual process, who is best? I have lots of milk in AM, so should I do two feedings, then give a bottle? Two more feedings, and then give bottle? And what should I do about pumping? I don't always get a lot at night, so could I keep that up while I am cutting down through out the day?

Anyway I need advice. I am already feeling guilty for having to do this, but I have to. I suppose if I could somehow get my supply down to being able to nurse, just twice a day, so I have a long long time between sessions, then I could continue to nurse?

And if anyone has pulled off going cold turkey let me know. I am considering going onto birth control pills, thought that might help if I do go all or nothing?
    Proud Mommy of Zachary Patrick 02/11/08
    1 month
    2 months
    3 months
    4 months
    5 months
    6 months

Overcame relactation, started EBM in bottle at 3 1/2 weeks, and started nursing at 10 weeks!

Default Re: Weaning Dilemma - Timeline - Cold Turkey and OS

lots of moms nurse 1 time a day for many months.

Cold turkey you risk breast infection and you don't want that!

Cut out feedings or pumpings one every few weeks you have plenty of time.

remember too if your baby is nursing well at least 3 times in 24 hours they need no other milk or formula suppliment.

You can do this,
    Just wean slowly with love and watch baby for signs of stress...
    If they start getting stressed you can back off of weaning for a while!

Thanks for the info. I would love to be able to nurse just once a day for a long time, in the morning first thing. Much easier than a bottle, much easier on a sad mommy!!
    1 month
    2 months
    3 months
    4 months
    5 months
    6 months

Overcame relactation, started EBM in bottle at 3 1/2 weeks, and started nursing at 10 weeks!

I went "cold turkey" with my first and would NOT recommend it! I was in intense pain for 4-5 days! (and she was only 3 1/2 months old so she wasn't drinking nearly as much in a day as an older baby!)
    I definitely recommend gradually decreasing the number of sessions you nurse in a day. I was doing that with my dd and got her down to 3 nursing sessions a day. Prior to that she was getting 6, so I dropped one feeding a week so I felt good... unfortunately I got impatient and decided to go cold turkey and just stop the last 3 feedings, don't do it! Trust me!
    Good Luck!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

Just wanted to add I think not nursing or pumping for 6 hrs at a time when your baby is that old is totally do-able... take it slow and see what works for you and your babe. Good luck!

The other thing to consider with going cold turkey is your lo. A gradual weaning will likely be much easier for your lo to handle, too.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

i've only been nursing about twice a day (some at night) since my son was about a year old. I was able to to distract him during the day to keep his mind off nursing, and it helped that he was taking solids so i could offer a snack. He really just did it himself for the most part. I think doing it gradually and making it easier for your baby is the best way to go. No need for a sudden shock! If you arent nursing or pumping for 6 hours, your body will adjust, and will produce with your baby nurses or you pump. It will adjust to your new schedule. Our bodies are awesome with it comes to supply and demand.
    Good luck!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

just to add, my DS is just over 10 months now and while i try to pump twice a day at work, there are days where i go 6 hours without pumping or nursing, if you had told me i could do this without it hurting my supply about 3-4 months ago i would have thought you were speaking an alien language, apparently my body knows to produce and sometimes i get a little uncomfortable and sometimes i leak a little, but it works out fine... for instance i worked a half day right beofre we left on vacation I nursed DS at 6:30 as usual, left for work at 7:00am and we didn't get home until about 1:30pm to nurse... no pumping in between and i wasn't even very uncomfortable.... HTH
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    lots of moms nurse 1 time a day for many months.

Cold turkey you risk breast infection and you don't want that!

Cut out feedings or pumpings one every few weeks you have plenty of time.

remember too if your baby is nursing well at least 3 times in 24 hours they need no other milk or formula suppliment.

You can do this,
    Just wean slowly with love and watch baby for signs of stress...
    If they start getting stressed you can back off of weaning for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hls02 View Post
    i've only been nursing about twice a day (some at night) since my son was about a year old. I was able to to distract him during the day to keep his mind off nursing, and it helped that he was taking solids so i could offer a snack. He really just did it himself for the most part. I think doing it gradually and making it easier for your baby is the best way to go. No need for a sudden shock! If you arent nursing or pumping for 6 hours, your body will adjust, and will produce with your baby nurses or you pump. It will adjust to your new schedule. Our bodies are awesome with it comes to supply and demand.
    Good luck!
    with the redirection. My mom breastfed my siblings this way, she did morning and night and either formula or food throughout the day.

I think the more relaxed approach you take to it and watch for your lo's cues the better off on all of you! It will relieve anxiety on both of you.

Feel free to keep reaching out! Lots of mamas have BTDT and have different ways of doing so that may help!

Just curious, why Christmas? Are you going to be away from lo?
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Thanks for the info. My body does seem to rebound well when supply goes down, and I can go for longer periods usually fairly well, I had to do that recently when DH had oral surgery.

I guess my question then is, since I need to be down to like 2 feeding as of the first of January, when should I start to cut back? Can I wait until like mid November then start cutting back? if I did once a week, by Christmas I could probably knock out four or so feedings? MY lo nurses about 8 times a day now. He eats smaller amounts more frequently, but when he take his bottle he definetly eats more than when he nurses.

Which feed should I cut out first? I thought pumping at bedtime should be first to go? Supply is lowest then, and definetly would be nice to stop this?

The reason I need to cut down is in January I am taking over a class at church, as well as leading music. A friend is having carpal tunnel surgery, and from that point I am taking over. I will be gone approx from 8:30-12:30-1:30 every sunday am, and some saturday ams, and with teaching, warm up, and being onstage, I can't nurse. (I play guitar) On top of this, I will also be taking a position in another group to play music, which will require practices and being away from baby. Also, it would be nice to have a few feedings cut out around Christmas, because as you know, this is a very hectic time of year. LO nurses about every two hours, and it would just be nice to be able to go four or so, to get things done, as well as all of the places I have to get to.

I want a little more freedom, yet, I want to be able to nurse as long as I can exclusively before I have to start weaning. So the when to start the decrease is the issue, since by January I have to have it reduced to like two. LO does very well with bottles, takes a paci, and is not a big comfort nurser. I think he will do well.

I dread when it is over. Nothing like nursing a sweet little baby
    1 month
    2 months
    3 months
    4 months
    5 months
    6 months