Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does return of fertility cripple lactation?

Default Does return of fertility cripple lactation?

Hi, I've been nursing my daughter for a year and 3 weeks now (and I'm just now getting here). I think my fertility has returned. My husband and I used the sympto-thermal method of NFP before I got pregnant (on purpose). Since the baby we've kind of been winging it (I know, foolish.) Anyway, recently I had my first real mucous patch in a very long time. I hadn't been taking my temperature, so I don't know if I ovulated or not, but the patch was over about 3 days ago, and my lactation plummeted about 2 days ago. Even when I feed her in the morning after a long night's sleep, I feel like there can't be enough to make her full. Is this normal? I can't be pregnant, because work has kept him away since before the mucous patch started, and it was fairly long. I don't mind weaning her in the nearish future, but I wanted to do it a bit more gradually. That, and right now she only has her 2 bottom teeth and I was hoping she would have better chewing capacity before I weaned her. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Does return of fertility cripple lactation?

I don't know for sure, but for me, i've struggled with milk supply for a long time, see my post below yours. My fertility returned 5 weeks after delivering, and one week after i started the mini pill recommended by a doctor. (ugh, wish i would have never taken that), and that's when all my problems started. So i don't know if it was the pill itself or a combination of both, but thought i would say that it very well could be!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bridgetinerabbit View Post
    Hi, I've been nursing my daughter for a year and 3 weeks now (and I'm just now getting here). I think my fertility has returned. My husband and I used the sympto-thermal method of NFP before I got pregnant (on purpose). Since the baby we've kind of been winging it (I know, foolish.) Anyway, recently I had my first real mucous patch in a very long time. I hadn't been taking my temperature, so I don't know if I ovulated or not, but the patch was over about 3 days ago, and my lactation plummeted about 2 days ago. Even when I feed her in the morning after a long night's sleep, I feel like there can't be enough to make her full. Is this normal? I can't be pregnant, because work has kept him away since before the mucous patch started, and it was fairly long. I don't mind weaning her in the nearish future, but I wanted to do it a bit more gradually. That, and right now she only has her 2 bottom teeth and I was hoping she would have better chewing capacity before I weaned her. Any thoughts?
    I laughed at your comment about finally getting here now that your daughter is a year old. I am always amazed that any new mothers can find a way to get here at all. There just aren't enough hands.

Anyway, I've heard other mothers report the same experience you're having. They say their milk supply decreases at a certain point in their cycle, and then comes back up.

I'm hoping you'll have the same experience as other mothers and that your supply will be back up in a day or two. Let us know if your supply stays low.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Indeed I have also heard tell of mom's noticing what seems to be a dip when cycles return due to their baby's behaviour when at the breast - could be supply, could be taste as well.. here's a link that talks more about it

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

There is a definite slight dip in supply right after the fertile CM but it hardly should cause you to have to wean. I have been fertile since the baby was about 5 months and now at almost 13 months am still producing plenty. Same with my last one. Nursed her for 27 months(at which point I was pregnant with LO) with my fertility returning around 5 months. We use NFP too and I suspect I don't ovulate every month even though I have fertile CM every month.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

Thanks so much for the words everybody. I guess it was such a sudden and severe drop that I may have panicked a bit. If things don't normal out soon, I'm sure I'll be back. Even if they do, I probably will. Thanks again!