Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby has brown staining spitup...doc says wait and see

Unhappy baby has brown staining spitup...doc says wait and see

she has reflux seems to have increased since feeding formula when I had mri.
    niw she is on bm.
    but she seems to be having a lot of wet burps even 2 3 hrs after eating...
    any ideas ? she has not nursed much today - she seems hungry buit wont nurse for long, and its messing with my supply.

Default Re: baby has brown staining spitup...doc says wait and see

Brown staining in spit-up is usually caused by the baby ingesting a little bit of blood with her breastmilk. It's not dangerous for her, and unless it keeps happening, it's not a problem for mom, either. What usually happens is that a tiny blood vessel in mom's breast breaks during nursing. These little vessels are fragile, but they are also resilient, and most will heal by the next time you need to nurse.

No ideas on the burping/reflux. Sorry! I hope it gets better soon, though.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: baby has brown staining spitup...doc says wait and see

The brown spit-up could be due to the reflux. G had a couple of bouts of small brown spots in her spit-up. We took her in to the ped who said it was normal to have a small amount every once in a while with a babe who has reflux. So, if it a small amount every once in a while, I would not worry about it. If it is happening more often and is more than a little, I would see the ped. JMO.
    Robin