Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping through the night with OS/OALD

Default Sleeping through the night with OS/OALD

I need some advice about how to handle block feeding/ OS-OALD and sleeping through the night. Here's our background and I will try to be brief:

-LO just turned 8 weeks.
    -Had pretty bad OS/OALD
    -Started block feeding about 3 weeks ago and it has REALLY helped, although I still have a very strong LD in my right breast.
    -Started with an 8 hour block, but now I just feed on one side for two feedings in a row and then the next side for 2 feedings in a row.
    -LO feeds every 3 hours and currently has been on a 7, 10, 1 & 4 schedule.
    -so basically it is right side at 7 and 10 and then left side at 1 & 4.
    -LO started sleeping through the night 3 nights ago and missed the 1 am feeding the first night and then went all the way through to 5 am last night.

I am confused about how to continue my "block". I know I shouldn't worry about it, but I am concerned that between the block feeding and the missed night feeding my supply will go down too much. The first night I pumped, but not last night I went from 10pm to 5am without feeding, pumping or expresssing, is this bad? Also, since I apparently have more milk/LD in the right, should that be the breast that I let "miss" the feedings at night? Has anyone delt with this or have any advice?

Default Re: Sleeping through the night with OS/OALD

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stuartjr View Post
    I need some advice about how to handle block feeding/ OS-OALD and sleeping through the night. Here's our background and I will try to be brief:

-LO just turned 8 weeks.
    -Had pretty bad OS/OALD
    -Started block feeding about 3 weeks ago and it has REALLY helped, although I still have a very strong LD in my right breast.
    -Started with an 8 hour block, but now I just feed on one side for two feedings in a row and then the next side for 2 feedings in a row.
    -LO feeds every 3 hours and currently has been on a 7, 10, 1 & 4 schedule.
    -so basically it is right side at 7 and 10 and then left side at 1 & 4.
    -LO started sleeping through the night 3 nights ago and missed the 1 am feeding the first night and then went all the way through to 5 am last night.

I am confused about how to continue my "block". I know I shouldn't worry about it, but I am concerned that between the block feeding and the missed night feeding my supply will go down too much. The first night I pumped, but not last night I went from 10pm to 5am without feeding, pumping or expresssing, is this bad? Also, since I apparently have more milk/LD in the right, should that be the breast that I let "miss" the feedings at night? Has anyone delt with this or have any advice?
    A couple of thoughts...as long as your baby is getting enough to eat and you aren't uncomfortably full (getting a plugged duct), there is no reason to worry about going that long at night without feeding, pumping or expressing.

Many mothers find that babies change their sleeping patterns many times in the first year. So, if a baby is sleeping through the night, that baby may very well start waking up at night again. I know that is not happy news for mothers whose baby is sleeping for long stretches.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader