Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I cheated but I don't care :)

Default I cheated but I don't care :)

I was going to attempt to regulate my supply through block feeding again (previous attempts were not successful), so to make sure I did it right, I called the free breastfeeding hotline sponsored by the CDC. The lactation consultant there told me what they usually recommend for moms with oversupply is to alternate breasts at each feeding and simply HAND express 2-3 tablespoons on the other breast to prevent engorgement. So I scrapped the block feeding and did that. She told me this should regulate my supply and there was no need to block feed. So far that has been working, and my DS now stays latched during my let down just fine, and is almost emptying a breast at each feeding. I was really concerned about him getting too much foremilk since I would be alternating breasts at each feeding, so to help him digest all that lactose he'd be getting while I down regulated my supply I gave him some crushed up Lactaid tabs (Lactase enzyme - ok'd by ped). Just three hours later I started getting the most beautiful yellow poops I've ever seen. So I cheated you could say by giving him the enzyme to help him handle it while I regulated my milk. But - I don't care. He has never been this happy a baby!!! I wanted to throw out my cheating mechanism for anyone else who wants to check with their ped first and try out lactase enzyme too while they down regulate their supply since it worked so well for me. It won't be a long term thing, but I think it saved us a lot of discomfort. Has anyone else ever tried this?

Default Re: I cheated but I don't care :)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mylittlehabibi View Post
    I was going to attempt to regulate my supply through block feeding again (previous attempts were not successful), so to make sure I did it right, I called the free breastfeeding hotline sponsored by the CDC. The lactation consultant there told me what they usually recommend for moms with oversupply is to alternate breasts at each feeding and simply HAND express 2-3 tablespoons on the other breast to prevent engorgement. So I scrapped the block feeding and did that. She told me this should regulate my supply and there was no need to block feed. So far that has been working, and my DS now stays latched during my let down just fine, and is almost emptying a breast at each feeding. I was really concerned about him getting too much foremilk since I would be alternating breasts at each feeding, so to help him digest all that lactose he'd be getting while I down regulated my supply I gave him some crushed up Lactaid tabs (Lactase enzyme - ok'd by ped). Just three hours later I started getting the most beautiful yellow poops I've ever seen. So I cheated you could say by giving him the enzyme to help him handle it while I regulated my milk. But - I don't care. He has never been this happy a baby!!! I wanted to throw out my cheating mechanism for anyone else who wants to check with their ped first and try out lactase enzyme too while they down regulate their supply since it worked so well for me. It won't be a long term thing, but I think it saved us a lot of discomfort. Has anyone else ever tried this?
    Hey, thanks for sharing your experience! I haven't heard of the idea of using the Lactaid tabs. I also didn't know that the CDC has a lactation consultant that mothers can call! Wow. Congratulations to you for being in creative in finding resources.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Default Re: I cheated but I don't care :)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mylittlehabibi View Post
    OMG! I'm lactose intolerant myself so I have a medicine cabinet full of Lactaid pills and when my "habibdi" (love your user name-BTW!) was suffering due to my f/hindmilk imbalance I thought of doing this but I was too afraid to try. I didn't even bother to ask my pedi because she had no clue what was wrong early on. I found out about my OS issues here on this forum!

I did some block feeding at first and I eventually turned to just doing what you're doing. I now just alternate breasts per feeding and I hand express the other for comfort and it's been great!

Oh yeah, thanks for sharing that the CDC had a breastfeeding hotline with an LC! Didn't know they had it!
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months