Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: schedule changes

Question schedule changes

Quick question: Can I change nursing/pumping schedules without affecting over all supply as long as I stick to the usual number of nursings/pumpings? Will my body respond to produce milk at the times I want to pump?

Long version:
    I am trying to avoid pumping at work (I work in a science lab around lots of chemicals). I have very flexible hours but would prefer to work for 6 hours straight and without nursing or pumping. I am trying to figure out a pumping schedule that will work to provide milk while I am gone for 6 hours.

I have read about how breasts are never empty but it seems to me that there is more milk in the morning and less in the evening. I tried pumping in the evening and got hardly anything and it definitely looked like skim milk. But in the mornings I need to nurse a hungry baby (she sleeps 9 pm to 7am) and am not sure how much I can pump without leaving her hungry.

I have been feeding on demand for the first 12 weeks and my babe’s usual schedule is to nurse around 7 am then either sleep or play for about 90 minutes and then nurse again. This morning I pumped from the breast she had just nursed on and the one she had not after the 7 am feed. When she tried to nurse again she seemed fussy and dissatisfied but I could see swallowing and she was spilling milk out of her mouth so she was getting something. Will my body be able to ramp up the morning milk production?

I am also trying to switch my baby’s schedule so she sleeps more while I am gone. Is this okay?

Default Re: schedule changes

What your trying to do is called reverse cycling and many babies do this on their own, and some mom's try to encourage it. Go for it!
    Yes your body will adjust, it may take a few weeks, but it will adjust. Your finding that you have more milk in the morning, less in the evening and that's completely normal. Is has to do with prolactin levels, they are highest in the morning (actually peaking around 3am) so that's why the higher output.

The only thing I would encourage you to do is make the transition as slowly as possible, that's a lot less stress and shock to the system. Battling plugged ducts at work would not be fun!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!