Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Failure To Thrive"

Default Re: "Failure To Thrive"

What about Primordial Dwarfism?

http://www.primordialdwarfism.com/index.htm

Has your ped mentioned this?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hotmommaof4 View Post
    Well, as I said, we ARE doing the testing. And the answers I'm sure are coming. Or at least I hope they are.

Wet diapers?
    8-10
    Spit up/throw up? Occasionally but nothing too serious. She is on a med for reflux already because she was crying during feeds so often.
    Diet? Nothing new. I haven't had dairy for probably 8 weeks now.
    She certainly has her fussy times but she is a fairly happy baby and very active. She has excellent head control, can move her head to see what she wants, likes to sit up rather than lay down and definately not lethargic.

the wet diapers sound excellent! And it sounds like she meeting all the milestones

I don't know if there is a way to "fatten" up your breastmilk, but ensuring that one breast is completely empty before offering the second breast is a good way to make sure that your daughter is getting all the fatty hindmilk. How long will you have to wait to get the results back from your testing? I ask because if it's only a short while you may want to hold off on offering the formula, but if it's going to be a long time you may want to really weigh out the options. It is important for your daughter to gain weight and depending on circumstances, supplementing for a short time can make a difference. And on the other hand, she sounds perfectly happy

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

sorry to hear you're having these problems, it must be a big worry and you may begin to have doubts about the quality of your milk. Your milk is most likely just fine, it is important to check baby's health like you are doing, there might be a mal absorption problem which means that no matter how much baby takes she's just not assimilating it and not putting weight (has doctor checked for celiac disease and cystic fibrosis?)

Number of wet diapers seems fine, and if she seems content then she's probably getting enough I would say. One more question, how many times a day does she feed? are you scheduling the feeds or feeding on cue? do you let her stay on one breast until she comes off in her own time? All these things could affect the amount of hind, fatty milk she is getting.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ferchi View Post
    sorry to hear you're having these problems, it must be a big worry and you may begin to have doubts about the quality of your milk. Your milk is most likely just fine, it is important to check baby's health like you are doing, there might be a mal absorption problem which means that no matter how much baby takes she's just not assimilating it and not putting weight (has doctor checked for celiac disease and cystic fibrosis?)

Number of wet diapers seems fine, and if she seems content then she's probably getting enough I would say. One more question, how many times a day does she feed? are you scheduling the feeds or feeding on cue? do you let her stay on one breast until she comes off in her own time? All these things could affect the amount of hind, fatty milk she is getting.
    Well, we've really just begun the testing journey so I don't know what all she's looking for.

She feeds every 2-3 hours (and sometimes less) with one 4 hour stretch at night. She eats when she wants and stays on one side on her own time.

That's why this is so puzzling. I know what to do and my other three never had this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ferchi View Post

I just wanted to agree.... its probably nothing to do with your milk. It sounds like you are doing everything right feeding on demand etc... If these tests come back normal ask for more. Sounds like something is up. HOpe you figure it out soon.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hotmommaof4 View Post
    Well, we've really just begun the testing journey so I don't know what all she's looking for.

She feeds every 2-3 hours (and sometimes less) with one 4 hour stretch at night. She eats when she wants and stays on one side on her own time.

That's why this is so puzzling. I know what to do and my other three never had this issue.
    Hope you get all the tests back soon to see if there is actually a problem and then take it from there, you are doing so well by breastfeeding your baby and if she happens to have a problem then your milk will certainly be a great benefit for her, so keep it up!