Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Failure To Thrive"

Question "Failure To Thrive"

That's what my 6 pound, 14.75oz 3 month old DD has been called. She's only put on 13 ounces since birth. We've had echocardiograms, ekgs, bloodwork, and a urinalysis done. Still waiting for results for the last two tests.

Is there anything I can do to fatten my milk? So far, I'm unable to intake much dairy otherwise she throws up. I don't eat or drink anything with milk products in them now.

I desperately need to help her put on weight and am trying hard not to be worried.
    Last edited by @llli*hotmommaof4; September 16th, 2008 at 11:03 AM.

Default Re: "Failure To Thrive"

what has the pediatrician suggested?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Does all that testing include food allergies?

If she's throwing up after you eat dairy ... that might be a symptom of a food allergy.

Mom's diet doesn't have an impact on the amount of fat or calories in her breastmilk. See: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html

Breast compressions while nursing can help baby get more milk & more of the fatty "hindmilk".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    what has the pediatrician suggested?
    She'd like me to offer some formula only after DD finishes nursing... only to top her up or if my milk isn't filling her up yet.

The blood work and urinalysis is to see if she has an infection or something.

Anyone talked about food allergies? The throwing up after you eat dairy is a big red flag to me.

Does she have blood or mucous in her poops? Eczema?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Anyone talked about food allergies? The throwing up after you eat dairy is a big red flag to me.

Does she have blood or mucous in her poops? Eczema?

The dairy was found out a long time ago. I haven't had dairy in MANY weeks. I only thought (wrongly) that the dairy would increase my milk's fat content since dairy can be high in fat. She is not longer throwing up like she used to.

And her pooping is normal (her doctor looked yesterday).

No advice, just lots of

Stay strong, Mama. We know you are doing a wonderful job.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

at 3 months old and not yet 7 lbs, I would be demanding some testing and some answers. Although some babies are tiny and are growing quite fine with their own growth curve, if your pediatrician has said "failure to thrive" I would take that very seriously.

Before I comment further, just a few questions to help me better understand what's going on.

How many wet diapers a day? Does she spit up/throw up often? Any reflux issues? Have you done any modifications to your diet (because as Isksam said, a dairy intolerance can be corrected through the mothers diet)? Is she happy and content most of the time? active? fussy? lethargic?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    at 3 months old and not yet 7 lbs, I would be demanding some testing and some answers. Although some babies are tiny and are growing quite fine with their own growth curve, if your pediatrician has said "failure to thrive" I would take that very seriously.

Before I comment further, just a few questions to help me better understand what's going on.

How many wet diapers a day? Does she spit up/throw up often? Any reflux issues? Have you done any modifications to your diet (because as Isksam said, a dairy intolerance can be corrected through the mothers diet)? Is she happy and content most of the time? active? fussy? lethargic?
    Well, as I said, we ARE doing the testing. And the answers I'm sure are coming. Or at least I hope they are.

Wet diapers?
    8-10
    Spit up/throw up? Occasionally but nothing too serious. She is on a med for reflux already because she was crying during feeds so often.
    Diet? Nothing new. I haven't had dairy for probably 8 weeks now.
    She certainly has her fussy times but she is a fairly happy baby and very active. She has excellent head control, can move her head to see what she wants, likes to sit up rather than lay down and definately not lethargic.

okay, i'm going to ask some questions that probably sound weird, but just wondering what things the Dr has looked into.
    Celiac disease?
    Have they looked at her heart? Any issues with that?
    Any genetic testing been done?
    thyroid tested?

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!