Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: painful letdown

Default painful letdown

Hi there. For the last week every letdown has been quite painful. I don`t think this is normal. Any ideas what the cause is and what I can do about it?
    Mummy to sweet little Roselyne, born 20 Dec 2006 and Baby Arthur born 4 Aug 2008

Default Re: painful letdown

Can you describe the pain?

When I had thrush I'd get a burning sensation right onthe tip of my nipples during let down. Do you or your baby have any other signs of thrush?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

How old is your lo? Have there been any changes in nursing habits? Are you more full than usual?
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

FWIW I have very painful letdowns still. DD2 is 10 months and I experience it while nursing or pumping. The pain radiates straight through to my back sometimes, but once I'm past the inital letdown the pain goes away. I agree with Paige, though. It could be thrush. What kind of pain are you feeling?
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Can you describe the pain?
    I would say burning deep inside or same pins and needles letdown feeling only 100 times amplified. DS is 6 weeks old. I have recently started pumping. Could that be the cause?
    Mummy to sweet little Roselyne, born 20 Dec 2006 and Baby Arthur born 4 Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    When I had thrush I'd get a burning sensation right onthe tip of my nipples during let down. Do you or your baby have any other signs of thrush?
    I do have sore pink nipples but just put that down to the pumping. DS seems to be spitting up more than usual when feeding from the breast but not from the bottle. There don`t seem to be any other real symptoms.

It is possible that pumping has increased your supply and that's why your lo is spitting up more. Are you pumping on a regular schedule or just here and there? How much and how often are you pumping? Does it only hurt when your milk lets down? I think thrush usually shows symptoms at other times, too.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jcdandfamily View Post
    It is possible that pumping has increased your supply and that's why your lo is spitting up more. Are you pumping on a regular schedule or just here and there? How much and how often are you pumping? Does it only hurt when your milk lets down? I think thrush usually shows symptoms at other times, too.
    Yes, I think my supply has increased a lot. DS has always been greedy, eating so much faster than my DD (21 months) ever did and he wants to nurse all the time at the moment. At first I think it was a growth spurt but I am pretty sure my supply has caught up and he is eating too much and too often!
    I am pumping once a day and during this time my DS gets his bottle so it should not really effect the supply. However, my DD does like to have a bit too every now and then, especially when she is feeling ill. So this can change things at times. I am confusing my poor body I am sure!

Yes, it is only the let down that really hurts, although my nipples are very sensitive and sore especially after feedings.