Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: On Norcolut, milk supply dwindling?

Default On Norcolut, milk supply dwindling?

Hello all,

Been a while since I last posted.

DS is already 20.5 months and I am still BF him.

Of late, I had abnormal bleeding (according to gynae, it's because of hormonal imbalance) and have been put on 1 months' supply of Norcolut (norethisterone).

According to the doc, it doesn't affect BF.. but I have noticed a significant reduction in milk supply.. does it really cause that or it's just be being stressed out?

Hmmm...
    Any tips/suggestions anyone?

I've never been on this medication this is my first time.

Default Re: On Norcolut, milk supply dwindling?

According to Medications and Mother's Milk 2008 - by Thomas Hale PhD,there HAS been reported decrease in milk supply with this medication. 10 of 13 women saw an increase in production after stopping this medication, Hale also advises that women should be counseled about decrease in production when starting this medication.
    He lists these as recent reports, and this book just came out, so it's possible that your Dr is looking at an older source. Definitely talk to your doctor about it, Dr Hale also has forums where medical professional can post and do research. You could send your Dr there if she has questions.
    http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Hi Jessica,

Thanks very much for the reply.

I have read conflicting articles on the Web-some say it doesn't affect breastfed babies, some say it does.

Which is correct?

The gynae is aware that I am still breastfeeding.

I am worried for my son's health and also all these side effects, and the fact that I am still bleeding even when on the pills? Hmm..

I can't really tell you what is correct or not, but critical reading could help here.

Somethings you want to look for when reading studies/articles/information

Who paid for the study? Was it done independently?
    When was the study done, how large or small was the control group?
    Who did the study? Do they have motives beyond giving information?

Regardless of what any study says, if YOU are experiencing decrease in supply, then that is a side effect for you.
    Perhaps getting a second opinion would help you make a decision?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!