Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning To Work---How can I prepare

Default Returning To Work---How can I prepare

Help! I'm currently breastfeeding and will be returning to work in 3-Weeks...I don't know how or if I should stock my milk ahead of time, and if so how much?

Also, I'm concerne that I won't be able to pump enough bottles in a day to give to the daycare.

Any advice???

Default Re: Returning To Work---How can I prepare

This is a common concern, but you're thinking about it early enough so that's great. I went back to work 7 weeks post partum so I can answer some questions, but I need more info.

How many hours will you be away from LO?
    Do you have a pump now?
    Do you use it if you do...basically do you know how and are comfortable pumping.
    Does DCP let you store frozen BM or will you bring fresh everyday?

In general here are some tips: Begin creating a freezer stash, that means pump afer feedings when possible or add a pumping session while LO sleeps if possible. That way over the next few weeks you can build the freezer stash little by little. Get the freezer bags for BM (I use Lansinoh) and I store 4-6 onces per bag. Make sure to date and write LO's name on bag. Figure out how many feedings you will miss per day, I miss 3 generally, so have at least enough milk at DCP for that many feedings with a little extra. For example DS takes three 6 oz. bottles so DCP always has at least 20 onces on hand.

I then pump when I would feed DS if he was with me (in my case 3x per day), and store the milk in the freezer bags, Everyday I take that days milk to DCP and she freezes it so we are always rotating the supply.

I'll check back to see if your answer and maybe I can be more specific
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I agree with pp about building a freezer stash. I find I have the most milk in the morning so it's a good time for me to fit in an extra pumping session. If you've not used a pump before now would be a great time to start to get used to it before you go back to work. I send the milk I pump to daycare the next day already in bottles and on Friday freeze it and use the oldest of my freezer stash on Monday.

It's definitely too soon to worry about whether you'll pump enough. Pumping when you're away from your baby all day is completely different to when you with them.

IMO while it is a good idea to have a bit of a freezer stash I would recommend not going crazy trying to create a huge stockpile until you see what kind of pumper you are. I have always been able to pump enough for the next day's bottles (3 4oz bottles) with some usually to spare. So I ended up adding to my stash not taking from it. I now have a ton of milk in my freezer and have to be really programmed about rotating it out so that it doesn't get wasted. But, it did give me piece of mind those first few days of pumping to know that I had a bit of milk on hand if I needed it.

Like PPs said, the most important thing is to pump as often as you LO would nurse. I also found it helpful to have oatmeal for breakfast and to drink lots of water throughout the day. My pumping output always decreased on days when I was more dehydrated.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    This is a common concern, but you're thinking about it early enough so that's great. I went back to work 7 weeks post partum so I can answer some questions, but I need more info.

Do you have a pump now?
    Do you use it if you do...basically do you know how and are comfortable pumping.

In general here are some tips: Begin creating a freezer stash, that means pump afer feedings when possible or add a pumping session while LO sleeps if possible. That way over the next few weeks you can build the freezer stash little by little. Get the freezer bags for BM (I use Lansinoh) and I store 4-6 onces per bag. Make sure to date and write LO's name on bag. Figure out how many feedings you will miss per day, I miss 3 generally, so have at least enough milk at DCP for that many feedings with a little extra. For example DS takes three 6 oz. bottles so DCP always has at least 20 onces on hand.

I then pump when I would feed DS if he was with me (in my case 3x per day), and store the milk in the freezer bags, Everyday I take that days milk to DCP and she freezes it so we are always rotating the supply.

with everything, the only difference is that I froze mine and brought the oldest of my stash the next day. I had a rotation systme in the freezer sot hat the oldest always got pushed to the front to be used next. I say start building the stash now and see how well you can pump and then you will know how much of a stash you may need. !
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post

Do you have a pump now?

I do exactly this. I developed about a week's worth of freezer stash before going to work and I still pump 3x a day for the feeding sessions I miss.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

Thanks so Much!

I currently pump 1 bottle in the morning after I feed her so her dad can feed her in the evening while I cook dinner...when I have tried to pump during the day after feeding her I don't get but maybe 2.0 oz. In the morning I'll get 3.5 to 4.

I'm very comfortable with the pump, just nervous that I won't pump enough bottles the day before to keep a fresh supply going.

My daycare takes fresh milk only.

You're doing all the right things it seems

As a pp said, what you will probably do is bring the bottles from Monday to DC on Tuesday, etc. and then take Friday's milk for the next Monday.

GL!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language