Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I hate stuffy noses!!!!

Default I hate stuffy noses!!!!

My 16 mth old has a cold again and can't nurse well. She is even having trouble eating regular food, she is not patient enough to breathe between bites. We have done steam, humdifier, saline, used the nose bulb, baby nose drops. Is there anything else? How do you all get thru this?

It seems like every time she gets a head cold, she nurses less and my milk never recovers like it used to. I feel like I am weaning her by illness! She won't take breastmilk by any other means so I don't pump during the day, I want to keep the milk ready in case she could get some. Should I be pumping at night to help the supply out?
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: I hate stuffy noses!!!!

Shoot Breastmilk straight up there!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Shoot Breastmilk straight up there!
    Yep, works great!

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Ok, maybe I did it wrong. I used a syringe and shot it up each nostril. She was no less stuffy and has refused two feedings now today. I pumped after she refused at 4 pm and only got 3 oz. I guess my supply must be way down. She normally nurses 6 x per day. Any ideas?
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Really? I usually Shoot it straight up DJ's Nose from my breast (So fresh warm milk) and it usually clears up the congestion within seconds so that he can eat comfortably.

Way too lazy for formula

we use the vicks steamer at night, and put pillows under his matress to elevate...I kwym though, we are just getting over him having a bad cold. He has to constantly de-latch from the breast to catch his breath. He screams if I try to use the aspirator on him. I always end up a bit engorged. Hope your LO gets well soon, so you can get back to normal nursing. It is frustrating!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

The milk was warm I had just pumped it. I just feel like my supply is dropping more and more. I don't become engorged, it just seems like I make less. I'm going to try some pumping after she goes to bed but honestly I hate pumping. I can't even remember the last time I did it. She won't even pop off and on to catch her breath, she just gives up!

If you think that she will pick up with the nursing again once her nose is back to normal, maybe pumping a little to keep your supply up is a good idea. How long has she been stuffy?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

when my lo would get a stuffy nose we would use saline drops in the nose.. They hate it but a few minutes later they can breathe again... Also Vicks vapor bath was also great before bedtime feeding I would fill the tub and nurse her in the steamy room and then we would take a bath, when the water cools down..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

She has been stuffy since Sat but I had just finished my period and my supply never rebounded like it normally does since she wasn't nursing enough. She has nursed only once so far today, I pumped just now when she went down for her nap but only got 3 oz. I guess my supply is really low. She tried one time before her nap and then threw a tantrum when she couldn't get any milk. I just don't know what to do, I hate for this to end this way.