Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO not eating-HELP

Default LO not eating-HELP

Need help, ladies. My DD did not eat today but 6 oz of EBM in a bottle. That 6 oz was in three feeding sessions. She drank 3 oz in the a.m. and 3 oz in 2 sessions in the afternoon. I got home and tried to nurse her on the breast but she won't take it either. What could be wrong? I'm concerned about dehydration.

She shows no signs of outright hunger and is not fussy. I know she refuses the bottle quite a bit with DCp but today was the worse day where she just refused. What she did take in was practically force fed. Any suggestions? Please help.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

Default Re: LO not eating-HELP

Does she show any signs of being sick? Maybe her throat hurts? Maybe try picking her up and latching her on while she is sleeping, and try to get a good feeding in? Hopefully others will have some good suggestions...

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

My first thought is also that she may be sick. Can you co-sleep tonight? Perhaps she'll dream-feed.

Also, how are her diapers? Is she still producing wets? As long as she's doing that, I wouldn't worry too much.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Both pp's have great ideas. I'd really check her throat and watch for a fever or other symptoms like stuffy nose.

When I worry, as I'm sure you are, a call or visit to the ped. nurse or office can't hurt and might help.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Could it be teething? My son is a terrible eater when he's teething. He has molars coming in, and yesterday he only had 15 ounces when he usually has 30. Looks like your LO is about 4 months, which is when my son got his first 2 teeth.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

In the absence of her being sick, it could just be how she's eating today. As babies get older, they can change their eating habits daily. One day, they'll want tons of solids with hardly any nursing; the next, it'll be all nursing and no solids.

Thanks for all your responses ladies. I swear my DD has been teething since she was born! Don't know what was wrong with her but she finally latched on at 7 in the evening and nursed ALL NIGHT LONG!!! We co-slept of course, other wise I'd be a somby here at work!

My nips are soooooooooo sore! I guess she made up for what she didn't take in yesterday. I hope this pattern doesn't continue or we're gonna have to go through this for another 2 months until I can introduce solids. Then I won't have to worry about her not taking in enough BM.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months