Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BM Strike?

Red face BM Strike?

Lately my LO has not been interested in BM. We have some good days where she will drink maybe 3oz about 4 times a day, but on others, like today, she will drink maybe 1-2 oz every 4-5 hours, if that. I just don't know what to do.

She has been eating the same amount of solids for the past couple of months, so that can't be the reason either, I don't think.

My LO is 10 1/2 months. I nurse her and then I have to pump, otherwise my production will drop. She will nurse for a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes, and i know she is getting BM because of her gulping. I have tried giving her the BM in a bottle or sippy cup and she has no interest. I won't try formula or cows milk because I have a freezer full of BM.

Any suggestions?
    Married my soulmate Jay 4/22/06
    First time Mom to Alexis 10/29/07 6lbs 15oz 19 3/4 in
    6 month checkup 12lb 10oz 26 1/2 in
    7 month weight check 14lb 6oz - Yea!!
    9 Month checkup - 16lbs

and

Love to

Goal
    6 months
    9 months
    12 months

Default Re: BM Strike?

So long as your baby is "gulping" at the breast, I would not worry too much about her breastmilk intake because she is obviously getting the amount she wants.

How do you know how much your LO is drinking if she won't take a bottle or sippy? It can be really difficult to estimate intake, especially since older babies can transfer a lot of milk in a very short time.

If you want your LO to increase her breastmilk intake, you could try to following things (if you're not doing them already):
    - offer the breast before offering solids
    - reduce the amount of solids you are offering
    - mix breastmilk with her solids (cereal, purees)
    - co-sleep: many babies will treat mom like an all-night diner if the breast is right there next to them!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: BM Strike?

I agree with pp that it's hard to know how much an older baby is getting. They are just so darn efficient! I remember being shocked at how quickly my son was able to satisfy himself.

I also noticed that once he was mobile (crawling, then walking) his interest level in breast feeding came and went. It was kind of like there was SOOOO much more going on in his world that sometimes he couldn't slow down long enough to nurse very long. But he always kept nursing and he would occassionally still have days when he needed to nurse for long sessions like he did when he was a younger baby.

If you're looking for things to do with your BM stash, you could try incorporating it into food that you make for her. You could add it to smoothies, cereal, use it to make scrambled eggs. I've even seen recipes for breast milk yogurt.