Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting rid of extra milk?

Default Getting rid of extra milk?

I have breastfed my LO up til now, which is almost 13 months and now she rarely feeds from me now and I have already switched her to organic whole milk and she is doing fine with that. My question is this: how do I get rid of that extra milk? My breast keep getting sore and I want to figure out a way to get rid of it a quick way. Anyone have ideas? I have tried lots of methods but nothing seems to work I can't really get her to eat from me anymore (she weaned herself) so my breast are really really big and sore. Hot showers don't work at all. HELP!
    Just solids now

Married to the love of my life since March 17th 2007

Adasah Paula Carmona born: September 6th 2007
    7lbs 2oz/19in long

Default Re: Getting rid of extra milk?

I read something once that said hot showers actually stimulate the milk, that's why they recommend it for supply problems. In the same article it said to wear a sports bra like 2 sizes too small or bind your breasts somehow, and try not to stimulate them.

I have no idea if any of this works though, I haven't weaned.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I read something once that said hot showers actually stimulate the milk, that's why they recommend it for supply problems. In the same article it said to wear a sports bra like 2 sizes too small or bind your breasts somehow, and try not to stimulate them.

I have no idea if any of this works though, I haven't weaned.
    The binding thing is confusing because I read somewhere that this method is very old fashion and can actually hurt you rather then help, causing infections and clogged ducts and such. The shower doesn't work at all. My breast are still the size of watermelons. OUCH!
    Just solids now

Married to the love of my life since March 17th 2007

Adasah Paula Carmona born: September 6th 2007
    7lbs 2oz/19in long

cabbage leaves...
    Just peal one off the head
    and then stick it into your bra
    and then as it gets wilted chage it.

If your'e really desperate, you can go to your doc and ask for a pill (I think it's basically an antihistamine, but I'm not sure) to dry you up. But no, hot showers WON'T work...they're actuallly something I'd recommend if you want to give your supply a little boost! Cold compresses are much better (so for the next little while, make sure you face away from the water when you're showering). Cabbage leaves are great. Instructions here. (right above that are some things for you to avoid, too)
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    cabbage leaves...
    Just peal one off the head
    and then stick it into your bra
    and then as it gets wilted chage it.

This worked wonders for me when my milk came in and was extremely engorged with clogged ducts. Never tried it with weaning though. I'm sure it would work the same.

I've also heard about using antihistimines, since from what I understand the reason why they say you shouldn't take them during nursing is more because it could affect your supply than anything else.

But before I did that I would talk with a doctor. The other thing you can do is express just a little -- no more than an ounce -- to relieve some of the pain. Or if you've a pump handy you could gradually wean yourself that way since it seems your daughter just went cold turkey on you. The extra milk mixed in with her cows mik won't hurt her one bit.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.