Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to get rid of some milk?

Default How to get rid of some milk?

I have breastfed my LO up til now, which is almost 13 months and now she rarely feeds from me now and I have already switched her to whole milk and she is doing fine with that. My question is this: how do I get rid of that extra milk? My breast keep getting sore and I want to figure out a way to get rid of it a quick way. Anyone have ideas?
    Just solids now

Married to the love of my life since March 17th 2007

Adasah Paula Carmona born: September 6th 2007
    7lbs 2oz/19in long

Default Re: How to get rid of some milk?

I don't think there is a quick fix for this. If she is no longer nursing the engorgement should go away soon. I guess you could express a little to make you more comfortable but that may just signal your body to produce more. Ice packs may help w/ the discomfort.

Here is a link that might help. Congratulations on BF for 13 months!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/l...ppression.html

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

I agree with pp that you can hand express some milk for comfort but be careful not to do much as it can signal your body to make more milk. Cabbage leaves are also supposidly a way to help dry up your milk. Heat or ice can both help with comfort.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

are you pumping any?

I am not pumping, and I have tried lots of these method and I am still in lots of pain. She won't really feed from me anymore, (she kind of weaned herself), and now I have a very very over supply of milk. Showers don't work either. HELP!
    Just solids now

Married to the love of my life since March 17th 2007

Adasah Paula Carmona born: September 6th 2007
    7lbs 2oz/19in long

I'm sorry your hurting!
    ITs ok to take what ever your doctor says is ok for pain...
    Do you think you might have a clog?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

is it both?
    Are you running a fever?

how many times would you say she was nursing in 24 hours when she quit nursing?