Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

View Poll Results: How long have you been BF your baby so far?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-4 months

8 7.55%
  • 4-8 months

16 15.09%
  • 8-12 months

16 15.09%
  • 12-16 months

19 17.92%
  • 16-24 months

21 19.81%
  • 24-30 months

13 12.26%
  • 30-36 months

6 5.66%
  • 36+ months

13 12.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll: How long have you BF you LO?

Exclamation Re: Poll: How long have you BF you LO?

Thanks, Mary.
    Everyone, Please understand that it was NEVER my intent to have anyone view this as a contest!! I had hoped - and thankfully it seems that it's going this way - that this would be useful for every one of us, in all our various stages of the BF adventure. You know, encouragement to women struggling in the early, painful, frustrating days, to get to see that many of us initially had goals of weeks or a few months -- only to find that it's a beautiful process and we hope to go much longer, etc. And also to moms who have chosen to or have just found themselves nursing beyond one year to see that we're not "abnormal" and that it's really OK, even if society in general isn't aware of all the benefits and is therefore not very supportive.

I hope everyone here accepts my motivations on this. Please, if anyone has felt any negativity or pressure or anything uncomfortable, do accept my apologies (and feel free to vent at me directly via PM if you need!!)

Also -- Mary, or any of the moderators -- if you can change the poll type to show totals in each category but not individual names, etc. that would be great. I mistakenly didn't set that properly and cannot fix it myself.
    Peace, everyone!!
    -linda

Default Re: Poll: How long have you BF you LO?

I didn't think that was your intent, Linda! I say the same thing during LLL meetings when mothers start to talk about how long they have breastfed.
    I'm not sure about changing the poll. I'll try to check that out.

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by jsmom
    Thanks, Mary.
    Everyone, Please understand that it was NEVER my intent to have anyone view this as a contest!! I had hoped - and thankfully it seems that it's going this way - that this would be useful for every one of us, in all our various stages of the BF adventure. You know, encouragement to women struggling in the early, painful, frustrating days, to get to see that many of us initially had goals of weeks or a few months -- only to find that it's a beautiful process and we hope to go much longer, etc. And also to moms who have chosen to or have just found themselves nursing beyond one year to see that we're not "abnormal" and that it's really OK, even if society in general isn't aware of all the benefits and is therefore not very supportive.

I hope everyone here accepts my motivations on this. Please, if anyone has felt any negativity or pressure or anything uncomfortable, do accept my apologies (and feel free to vent at me directly via PM if you need!!)

Also -- Mary, or any of the moderators -- if you can change the poll type to show totals in each category but not individual names, etc. that would be great. I mistakenly didn't set that properly and cannot fix it myself.
    Peace, everyone!!
    -linda
    I actually liked that you started this, and I never saw it as a competition, but is nice to see that extended BF and BF period are getting to be more common, and it's also nice to see that other mommas are going thru the same that you're when you don't have anyone BF around you, it helps you to keep going.

I totally appreciate this thread. It is nice to see the examples of other moms. It is also nice to know that a lot of us come from failed first experiences and are trying very hard to make future experiences better. I love the support I get here as I don't get much of it from anyone else. The most supportive person I have is my MIL...everyone else always slips in the little comments of "maybe it's time to be done with that" and all that nonsense....Thanks for this thread...it's fun and interesting!
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

I have been nursing Mez now for 40 months. I had always planned on child led weaning, but there were times when he was stuck to me permenantly that I thought, maybe I will have to change my mind. But I didn't. He has been slowly tapering off on his own. I think what helped me the most was when he started sleeping through the night at around 26 months.

-Lauren

I misunderstood the poll so I voted improperly. I voted in the 16-24, because I think that is my goal now, but I should have voted in the 8-12, because that's how long we have been nursing. If someone can remove me and then I can re-vote, that would be great!

And Jsmom--I really like this thread. I definitely see the value in seeing how long people have bfed. I never would have made it through the first week if it hadn't been for some veterans around me that convinced me it would get better!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I've bf my ds, Little Rivers, for 36 months and 8 days and still going strong! (I feel certain he will be weaned before entering college!) We've had trying times and wonderful times, but mostly we've made a lot of loving memories. (And had quite a few laughs, i.e. when he had just turned 2 and decided my "ats" were airplanes, pinching each side and gently pulling them out to make little wings so they could fly into his mouth!! )
    Never a dull moment around here!!
    - Susan

We're still going strong at 15 months and I intend to let him wean naturally. For some reason, three years sticks in my head but maybe that's because that's how long I watch my sister breastfeed. Maybe at that point I'll offer some gentle pushes towards weaning, but I do feel strongly that it should be lead by him.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

My dh and I have been talking a lot about this lately. When ds was born, I thought 3 months, that turned into 6, then 12. He will be 7 months tomorrow, and I am really beginning to think I want to let him self-wean. I have no desire to make him stop something so special when he doesn't need to. I really don't know anyone who has breastfed past about 6 months or so, and am sure I will get plenty of comments/"suggestions".
    I never thought I would go this long, I didn't with my first two. My dd was about 4-5 months, I think, and my first ds I stopped at 6 weeks at the pedi's suggestion (wish I would have had this forum then!)
    Now I have some regrets since it is so easy and awesome now.
    I NEVER thought I would be this way and honestly couldn't see myself going even 6 months, funny how things change.

It was a given that I'd breastfeed, but I didn't really give much thought to how long. It was actually my DH who would always answer the question, "Are you going to breastfeed?" with the response "Of course, for at least a year."

He's awesome