Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

View Poll Results: How long have you been BF your baby so far?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-4 months

8 7.55%
  • 4-8 months

16 15.09%
  • 8-12 months

16 15.09%
  • 12-16 months

19 17.92%
  • 16-24 months

21 19.81%
  • 24-30 months

13 12.26%
  • 30-36 months

6 5.66%
  • 36+ months

13 12.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll: How long have you BF you LO?

Default Re: Poll: How long have you BF you LO?

DD is still happlily nursing at 13 months. I really wanted to make it to a year and am very proud to have be able to provide her with the best possible start. I don't know how long I'll nurse, I guess until dd stops asking. I know df wishes that there was a switch that you could thow off at 12 months but that's a whole nother issue. DD shows no signs of weaning and I'm generally fine with that. When will I ever get this kind of time with her undivided attention and love again?

We are nursing still at 33 months old.

When I got pregnant with my first, I wanted to nurse to 6 months ONLY, well it did not work for several reasons, but I pumped so she ended up getting BM till she was a year.

With my son, I have been decitated, first I said I would nurse AT least 6 months, NO less...then that "mark" came and went...then I said a year, a year came and I was not ready, nor was he...so I said 18 months...again...it seemed it was just not "the time." So now my goal is to do it when we are both ready...not sure when that will be, though I am guessing it will be before he's going to highschool!

Which is irronic, because at my first LLLeague meeting before I had my son, there was a woman who was nursing her 3 year old, and I was SURE I would not be "that woman" and look at me now! LOL that hit me so much the past couple weeks that I actually wrote a blog post about it!

im am thrilled to still be nursing my 17 month old ds. i dont know how long we will go, i never thought id be nursing such a vocal and independant tot but here we are. too old? i dont know

How long is too long to breastfeed? I don't think there is one right answer either.

I am breastfeeding my second son, who is now 18 months. When my first son was born, I planned to breastfeed him until he was 12 months, like the AAP recommends. When we reached the one year mark, he was so attached to nursing, for nutrition and comfort, especially as he dealt with eczema and allergies, I could't see weaning as a possibility. He seemed like a baby to me and I didn't want to lose that part of our relationship.

As time went on, I found we nursed past his second and third birthday. I never planned to do that! But I followed his lead, placing limits to help us both be comfortable in our relationship. I know I never thought I'd nurse that long. When I think of nursing someone else's 3 year old, I think "that's crazy!" but my own three yeard old seems so natural and right.

Most women who nurse until their children self-wean usually didn't foresee themselves doing it. I look at my 18 month old now and think of him as a baby, as nursing my 3 year old has brought much insight. I also tandem nursed; through pregnancy I kept wondering if my first son would wean, but he stayed strong and nursed even when my milk supply decreased b/c of pregnancy.

I have to say my expectations have changes and my patience and understanding have increased. There have been so many benefits if nursing until my children are ready for less nursings that I continue for their benefit, and mine. DS #1's eczema is better with breastmilk in his diet, nursing is the ONE thing that can calm him, and the hormones calm me, too. Plus at this point I am still not ovulating. Lots of pluses for me!

And everyone has that certain age in mind when they think of extended breastfeeding as strange. I remember my first time hearing about a mother on breastfeeding her 8 year old and I felt shocked. Now, I think other mothers see me as that strange mother who nurses two children, the oldest an almost four year old! I don't see myself as "that strange mother", but someone caring for her children, just as I did when they were 4 weeks or 4 months. Perspectives change. BTW, I recall nursing an 18-24 month as the hardest period. Now I feel we are at smooth sailing.

Mama Eve,

Thanks very much for the "been there, done that!" perspective.

Dd is 19 mo and we are nursing with no clear end in sight . . . I thought at the beginning I would try for six months but like many pp the time just extended. We are now trying night weaning but I think I will let dd decide about the daytime sessions . . . although judging from how much she enjoys it now, not sure she will ever want to stop . . . ? DH has been supportive so far, but said a few months ago he thinks over two years is a bit strange. But I think at the beginning he would have thought 19 mo was strange (me too actually) and I think he still sees how important it is to her and how little she still is in a lot of ways . . . I now have it in my mind that three years is the limit . . . probably that will change too!

I have been breastfeeding my twins for 7 months. I have decided to let them wean whenever they are ready. I really enjoy bf them so I hope we keep going for quite a while.
    SAHW to C and SAHM to my identical boys J & A born 1/7/06 & my little girl K born 8/21/08.

DS1 I only nursed for 2 months. With DS2 I was determined to go a year to try to avoid the eczema DS1 had.

It will be a year in 2 weeks! I have decided to let him self wean as well. He is down to 2-3 times per day and I wouldn't give it up for the world!!!!

We only stopped at 22 months because I dried up due to a new pregnancy. DS didn't want to suckle -- he wanted MILK, lol.

I never intended to nurse long; actually, I thought I would nurse for a few weeks. Then I decided I would nurse for a year. But when that time came, I looked at my baby and realized he's still a baby! He still needed to nurse. So we kept going. If he wants to start up again after the new baby, that's OK. I'll nurse the next one until ???

I also thought nursing >3 was weird, until that could be me.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

With my first baby I didn't succeeded BF like I wanted to, so I was very determined with my second one to make it to the year. I read as much as I could on the subject, decided to SAH (not only b/c of BF), and my baby stayed with me always even when I was hospitalize to get surgery and I put my foot down if anyone try to sabotage our relationship, KWIM? Then I started reading about extended BF and self weaning and I though it's so worth it. I don't really care what both of my family think of it, it's not their choice, if they really want to know the reason of why I do it I'll be happy to school them, if all they do is want to criticize they're wasting their time not mine.

I'll let my son self-wean, although if he goes over 3 we'll keep nursing but I don't think that I'll do it on public (oh and I said think, so that might change). If I picture nursing my 3 1/2 YO daughter it seems too weird for me but that because we stop nursing when she was a baby, I'm pretty sure it will be different with DS.

How old is too old? I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, but definitely once they're married then they're too old ! This lady I know, gossip are that her 12 yo at his lunch time from school used to go to his house so he could nurse, the lady stay a lactating momma for years since she had younger kids and babies; how much true is on the story I don't know, I can't asked her anymore b/c she has Alzheimer and some of her kids, including the one I mention died. I can't look at it as disgusting, b/c even though her kids came out like their daddy (drug lords) and I knew them (one of them was my Godfather RIP) they were the sweetest thing with their mom, she was their goddess. They probably drank the BM from a cup, but you know how people is, always want to exaggerate!

I just want to thank everyone for their input so far. Each situation is so individual. Everyone has their own comfort level and reasons for how long they may breastfeed. The poll is interesting but try to remember there's not a contest to see who can nurse the longest!
    Mary