Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets pretend its formula

Default Re: Lets pretend its formula

http://www.askdrsears.com/

dr sears has some good info:

It sounds as though you have a couple different variable going on. I would wait out the week with the same pumping schedule and then you should also know if you are expecting as well. She may be weaning off the bottle. At one year mine went from two - three bottles at daycare to only one and then slowly weaned himself off that.

I commend you for pumping so much for so long! Not a lot of mom could have done that!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ladybug6 View Post
    So right now she is getting 5oz x 3. Is that going to be ok?? What happens if she goes down to 2 feedings??

What is the cow's milk for? The fat or the calories?

Is there a link as to how many calories, calories from fat, protein, etc a toddler should be getting??
    I think the cow's milk is for the needed fat and calories, but there is also one other important fact to be considered with milk-- cow's milk or otherwise: it is a complete protein. If milk is the only complete protein (animal product) your lo is getting, then it is SO important for her to be getting at least a few ounces with every meal. If she eats eggs, cheese, yogurt, meats, etc. on a regular basis, then the milk itself isn't so important. But DO make sure she is getting enough other fluids-- i.e. water and/or juice-- to make up for the cutback on fluids from the milk.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

DD gets cheeses for snacks and yogurt for breakfast every day. We have been trying to giver her more meats but she is NOT interested.

SO ..... if she does not want cow's milk, but is eating plenty of fat/protein rich foods, will we be ok without BM??
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ladybug6 View Post
    DD gets cheeses for snacks and yogurt for breakfast every day. We have been trying to giver her more meats but she is NOT interested.

SO ..... if she does not want cow's milk, but is eating plenty of fat/protein rich foods, will we be ok without BM??
    In theory, yes, you will be ok. That rule is generally for older toddlers, though. If it were me, I woudl try to make it to the 1 year mark with just breastmilk, then ad cow's milk. She just seems so young to not have one or the other. But in theory, you can probably skip the cow's milk. If you don't want to do formula, you probably ought to wait a few weeks to really start on the weaning process.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*moose View Post
    In theory, yes, you will be ok. That rule is generally for older toddlers, though. If it were me, I woudl try to make it to the 1 year mark with just breastmilk, then ad cow's milk. She just seems so young to not have one or the other. But in theory, you can probably skip the cow's milk. If you don't want to do formula, you probably ought to wait a few weeks to really start on the weaning process.
    I will be keeping my pumping sessions the same this week, and try and skip one each day next week. I have enough of a freezer stash to make up the difference if there is one. I don't have a problem adding cow's milk, it is just that organic milk is hard to find around me, and that is what I would want to give DD.

My biggest problem with the weaning process is that it seems that at 1 year there is a switch that flips in a LO that means that they can now have cow's milk, eggs, turn around in their car seats...etc.

If they are ok to do all those things at 1 year, why not at 11 months 20 days??? I think that we should just follow our instincts. She is already choosing solids over BM these days, and it is hard to FORCE the bottle on her when she wants to eat food. I understand the need for either BM/formula, but 10 days will not make a difference.

Thanks for all the info ladies. You are always full of knowledge and experience!!
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

You're almost in the same boat I am. My DD is 11 mos 11 days now and I'm ready to wean all but the night and morning nursing, but then I feel guilty. I can't believe I've been nursing for a year and growing her for 9 months on top of that.

I guess I need to take your advice and follow my instincts!
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

I have been EPing for 16 months. When I dropped from 4 to 3 pumpings, I tried to pump a little less for the one I wanted to drop for a bit and then I dropped it.

When I drop to 2, I plan on dropping the middle and moving the last one forward. To do this I plan on pumping less on the middle one for a bit and then dropping it. You may find that works best than dropping one every other day (it depends on your supply... I have a HUGE supply so if I did that I would be in pain)

I understand it hurts to pump. I get that way every time before / during my period. Hang in there.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.