Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets pretend its formula

Default Lets pretend its formula

Ok all,

I have been trying to get some info on weaning, but it is hard to find info on weaning an EBM fed LO. I think if you treat me like I am trying to wean off of formula it might be better.

I tried DD with BM in her sippy cup, but it is not going well. I hate to waste it, and that is all she is doing, letting it drool out of her mouth after she takes a sip.

I have a feeling the I may be expecting..... pumping has been very painful the past few days and AF is not due for a week or so. If this is how the pain will be for the entire pregnancy, I don't think I will make it. That pump hurts so bad!!

She is eating more and more solids, and it has been 3 weeks since she decided she did not want her 4pm bottle. She gets 3 x 5oz a day.

So what do you suggest??
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

Default Re: Lets pretend its formula

Hi.
    I don't understand? Are you saying that the women here are not being forthcoming with weaning information? Or that you can't find it on the web?
    Also, based on your child's age and what you have written, I daresay weaning is already happening? Is that not right? You are no longer EBF in that you are also feeding solid food?
    What is your goals? Are you still breastfeeding while together? To have your LO weaned by the year point? Switched to cow's milk? Or just to pimp wean by the year point?

Way too lazy for formula

Hey there, sorry if it seems like you aren't getting the info you need/want. I have a few questions for you, and hopefully they can help me answer your question a little better.

You are an exclusive pumper, right? So no direct nursing?
    Are you wanting to wean from the bottle altogether or just from breastmilk?
    How many times a day is your lo taking a bottle?
    Do you plan on replacing breastmilk with cow's milk or some other substitute?
    How much solids does your lo take in a day?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Are you wanting to pump less?
    OR not at all?

Lots of moms decrease pumping as baby gets older.

How old is toddler.

What is your exact question? Are you looking to wean from pumping? Or are you wanting to change when/how much/how often/what you are offering your LO. You make it sound like you just want to wean her, but then you mention the sippy. Could you just offer water in a sippy if you're trying to get your LO to learn how to use one? If you're planning on switching to formula/cow's milk, can't you still just offer it in a bottle? I know they recommend weaning off a bottle at some point, but I don't think it's a huge concern at your LO's age. Maybe you just start switching one bottle to cow's milk at a time, and you could offer it in a sippy if you're intent on switching from the bottle itself. I agree with the PP that a little more info is needed before we can address your questions.

www.kellymom.com is one of the best resources for bf moms. It has a whole section on weaning: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/index.html

I would not fully wean until after a year. It looks like you are close to that. If you want to wean (it sounds like you are pregnant and it is painful to pump/nurse?) then start dropping one session every few days. Watch your lo and see how s/he is reacting to the dropped sessions. I also could not tell if you exclusively pump or nurse too. It will be harder to wean from nursing than from the bottle in my opinion. Look at the kellymom site and let us know if you have additional questions. The site also has suggestions for nursing while pregnant and how to handle the discomfort: http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/index.html
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Ok.... Here is some more info

DD will be 1 on the 26th

I have been EP since 6 weeks when we both had thrush and she would never latch back on

She seems to be more interested in solids then her bottles as of the past few weeks

I may be expecting (would not get a positive test for another few days) and pumping is VERY painful

I would LIKE to only be pumping 1-2 times a day (6+ times right now)

I would rather go to cow's milk for her and not do a formula or anything like that

She uses a sippy cup well for juice/water but will not take EBM from it

I would like to wean off a bottle and BM

I am not trying to push her, the pain with pumping has only started, but I feel that it will get worse/continue if I am expecting.... But I am ready to be done with this pump as soon as she is ready!!

And it has not been that the ladies here are not helpful, it just seems that all links and info I have found is refering to BF and not EP. I am worried that if I start cutting out pumping sessions (like I did this weekend) that my supply with be too low to meet her demand (like it is today! )

DH has her at home today and she skipped her noon bottle to eat more veggies at lunch. I don't know if I should skip some pumping sessions or just keep my usual schedule for a week or so to make sure she is ready to skip that feeding.

I am sorry that I am so scattered. This weaning thing is driving me NUTS!! DR is of no help, they look at me like I am crazy to be EPing this long.
    Last edited by @llli*ladybug6; September 15th, 2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Add
    All I do is

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)

its ok to wean slowly from the pump!

heres some more info

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/w...from-pump.html

Just remember as long as toddler is getting breastmilk 3-4 times in 24 hours they don't need any extra cows milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post

Just remember as long as toddler is getting breastmilk 3-4 times in 24 hours they don't need any extra cows milk.
    So right now she is getting 5oz x 3. Is that going to be ok?? What happens if she goes down to 2 feedings??

What is the cow's milk for? The fat or the calories?

Is there a link as to how many calories, calories from fat, protein, etc a toddler should be getting??
    All I do is

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)